The Sewing Place

Overlocker?

Gernella

Re: Overlocker?
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2021, 21:36:30 PM »
Worst is when you don't keep your eye on the ball and you find you've grabbed  fabric you don't want under the knife.  You rarely make that mistake again, speaking from experience  :cry:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ouryve

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2021, 10:52:19 AM »
Worst is when you don't keep your eye on the ball and you find you've grabbed  fabric you don't want under the knife.  You rarely make that mistake again, speaking from experience  :cry:

I remember when someone on Sewing Bee did that. I could have cried for her.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Andymat

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2021, 21:22:01 PM »
I said I would update you all...

Well I have finally found the time to play with the new overlocker. It is a bit daunting with the 4 threads. Did try to pull the threads through when I changed colour. But I didn't tie it properly and it just came undone.

So I rethreaded from scratch and broke a needle. Not sure why but I replaced it and it is now running fine.

I had to reduce the tension on the needle threads for the stretchy material I have been using as the stitches didn't seem to stretch. Is this normal? Have fiddled with the tensions and they seem to be better now.

Christmas was a driver for me. I thought I would make some T-Shirts for my niece (13) and nephew (17). So these were the results - mostly done on the overlocker except for the bottom hem (twin needle on sewing machine) and the top-stitching around the hoods.

The stretching while sewing was a bit tricky and not perfect and I had a bit of a hiccup attaching one of the hoods but it doesn't show too much. So they are not perfect but I think not too bad for a first try - I'm pretty pleased with the machine. The finish is so much neater than using the overlocker type stitches on the std machine and a lot quicker.

Overall I'm very pleased with it - it even has a built in thread cutter which I think is great.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 10:32:09 AM by Andymat »

Silver Rose

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2021, 22:22:08 PM »
They are great, @Andymat, lucky niece and nephew.
Still learning

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2021, 22:57:05 PM »
They look great!   I’m sure they’ll be thrilled. 
Just remember that side  seams don’t need to stretch.  There will be some give but you don’t need to have them stretchy.  I would think with the Jaguar you would probably be fine with the standard settings.

Ellabella

« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2021, 23:56:49 PM »
They look lovely. You seem to be picking things up very quickly.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2021, 09:14:19 AM »
They look great, well done!  Very neat crossed over hood edges at the neck too, impressive!

Andymat

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2021, 10:35:41 AM »
Don't want to rain on your parade @Andymat but if you major in knitted fabric then next thing on your list should be a coverstitch machine.  They do make the project look finished off.

Having used the overlocker, yes, I can see what you mean! It would be useful but I have no space at the moment.

Thank you all for all the encouragement. It has been an interesting journey and is only just begun!