The Sewing Place

Quilty Lovelieness ... At Last!

Iminei

Quilty Lovelieness ... At Last!
« on: November 09, 2021, 14:04:57 PM »
And so my search for an MJ Kinman Gemstone pattern has succeeded at last!

Ever since I saw this Huge Stunning Quilt at FOQ 2017

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I was enthralled and wanted to try and make one or own one.

I tried years ago to buy one from America and it eventually got here along with a shed load of extra charges from the Post Office. I refused to pay them, contacted the company and got a refund ... All good but No pattern! :(

A year and a half ago (march 2020) I saw that Cotton Patch were selling (from the UK) the patterns as a monthly BOM ... you could even get the pattern with the fabric pack !!!!  but the cost ££££££
Spoiler: show
 £374.00 !!!!!!! :scream:

They wouldnt let you have just the one, you had to subscribe for the whole 12 and I was out of work and brassic at the time. I consulted with @Puzzler  on this but in the end could justify the cost not one iota.

Then a couple of months ago I saw listing on UKQU Destash ... some lady had subscribed to the Cotton Patch's BOM but hadnt made any of them and was selling the individual patterns and fabric packs off.

I was late to the listing so most of the glorious ones  had been snapped up but she was awaiting Octobers kit (My birthday) and had a couple more left. I interested my friend in one and decided to take the plunge and buy what was left ... after all What had I spent nearly every waking hour in a Carpark this summer for ????

So after Three years of wanting one I finally have not One, not Two, not Three but FOUR of them.
A lil excessive you may think but you cant look a gift horse in the mouth ....

The lady had to wait until Pink Tourmaline, the October birthstone had arrived at her door before posting so I waited too.

But the wait ended yesterday ... I was surprised at how small the package was but not disappointed by the contents.

The technique is something Ive never done before but there is a simplified free downloadable pattern on MJ Kinmanns  (excellent) website to practice on before going for gold!

So I have Three of these in my sticky paws, which to be true is a tad excessive and wondered whether there may be someone out there who would like the December birthstone, Tanzanite pack ??

If not, No problem, Im in no rush to sell it off but if like me, you have drooled and coveted one of these patterns, now could be your chance.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 14:28:26 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ohsewsimple

Re: Quilty Lovelieness ... At Last!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 15:21:24 PM »
I’m no quilter but those are stunning! 

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 15:23:58 PM »
Yes they are!!!  :loveit:

The blocks are 17" sq ... The Princess cut diamond Quilt is eeeeeenormous ... well you can see it is: the wall its hanging on is Full exhibition height.

Diane

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 16:31:32 PM »
@Iminei My gosh.... :faints:   that looks almost impossible to put together, i would get in a right ole tiz with that.

I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 16:58:15 PM »
It looks like Foundation Piecing, @Diane........truly the work of  :devil:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 17:00:30 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Diane

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 17:03:49 PM »
It looks like Foundation Piecing

I'll have to look that up as i've not heard of foundation piecing
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 17:52:28 PM »
Wow! @Iminei they are gorgeous  :) Is this what inspired you with the Mystery quilt this year?

It does look like FPP and I might have taken one but my birthday is October too and I have nobody to make the December one for. 
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 17:58:16 PM »
NOT FPP ...  Freezer paper templates ... very new technique for me ... but this will be next years project.

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2021, 17:59:29 PM »
I have heard of freezer paper templates, isn't that more like EPP?  :faints:

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2021, 18:00:17 PM »
Oh NO !!! Please dont say that!!!

Pearl

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 18:03:01 PM »
I made my avatar using freezer paper and a foundation paper piecing technique whereby you don’t sew through the paper.

Diane

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 18:30:24 PM »
I've just watched a video on foundation paper piecing  :faints: I might have a go at some point  :S

Lilian

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2021, 18:33:21 PM »
Oh NO !!! Please dont say that!!!

Worry not @Iminei I have just watched a video explaining how it works.  It is more like FPP but there is no ripping away the paper  :) It looks interesting and I might have a go.   :)

Lilian

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2021, 18:34:33 PM »
I made my avatar using freezer paper and a foundation paper piecing technique whereby you don’t sew through the paper.

@Pearl I have always envied your avatar and want to try making one  :)

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2021, 18:45:57 PM »
It's a form of fpp and thus bound to be the work of  :devil:
Triumph of hope over experience :D