The Sewing Place

Quilty Lovelieness ... At Last!

Diane

Re: Quilty Lovelieness ... At Last!
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2021, 07:26:27 AM »
You lot have lost me completely with all this lingo  :laughing: FPP/EPP all looks the same to me, mind you i wouldn't mind having a go but it does look rather daunting  :faints:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Iminei

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2021, 07:33:42 AM »
English Paper Piecing ... from years of yore ... cut paper shape (usually hexagons), wrap fabric around shape, Hand sew onto paper, repeat ad finitum, sew shapes together, remove (or not) paper , Book into asylum.

This is usually the first introduction small people get into patchwork and is guaranteed to put them off for life ...

But some people like it. -<

Foundation Paper Piecing ... using a pattern printed onto paper you place fabric on the reverse, sew along the lines in the designated order, flip and Iron the sewn piece and repeat until finished, then remove paper ... its bassackwards but some people excel at it

Theres a few patterns and tutorials you can try in the Darkside if youd like.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2021, 09:33:21 AM »
Really like the look of this one https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPRyFLxaOIbksoQGcrfKdxFvsKBH0pO905wfuUqOEOOMQoEYWaQqO34kNdWFyHraw?key=dlp0VkFEcU9vcU4zZXl1OF9JM0w2VUNQOHFTOXpn not sure if that link works  but it is the super card trick block.  I might even be tempted one day if I stray into the dark side by mistake.  :devil:

How about you  trying it first @Diane  :devil:

Diane

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2021, 09:37:31 AM »
@Celia ME.... :scream: I think you should try it first seeing as you found it  :laughing: I mean you must be tempted to come across to the darkside seeing as your looking at blocks  :devil:

I might try something small that i could use as an applique on a project that i have in mind
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 10:46:53 AM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Celia

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2021, 11:12:40 AM »
Made me smile and today that’s not easy  :hug: @Diane

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2021, 12:14:50 PM »
And there was me thinking you just cut the shapes out (after meticulous mathematical planning) and sewed them together  :thinking:
Or are these paper pieces just ways of doing it but you can also just cut the shapes out and sew them together?
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ellabella

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2021, 16:41:35 PM »
I think the video I watched was by Rebbeca Bryan.

https://bryanhousequilts.com/

Iminei

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2021, 16:51:35 PM »
@Bumblebuncher  if you look at the detail of one of these blocks

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I think you'll agree there may be a bit more to it than just cutting the pieces and sewing them together

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2021, 17:51:34 PM »
@Iminei  Which was why I also said 'meticulous mathematical planning'  ;)
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Iminei

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2021, 06:43:06 AM »
Its put together in Quadrants ... If you look at the Emerald, you can see where they lie ...

Very apprehensive of this ... even with the practice block to make, which is an extremely simple diamond shape

the thing proper is start to make my legs wobble!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 06:45:36 AM by Iminei »

Ploshkin

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2021, 09:40:32 AM »
Ah ha, now you say quadrants I can see how it's put together.  The 2 side quadrants look quite straightforward the top and bottom ones not.*  The colour choices are what make it so special.
We know you can do it @Iminei  we'll be cheering you on.

* that doesn't mean I have any intention of attempting it  ;)
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2021, 10:14:08 AM »
So a play day was had with my friend Helen who bought one of the patterns from me (Emerald ... doh! ) and we printed off the MJ Kinman practice template ...

Unfortunately my printer is rather fuclogged so the destruction were pretty illegible but after a couple of wrong turns we figured out what we had to do ...

and after sticking the template together, tracing the pattern onto the FP, choosing the fabrics,ironing the bits onto them, and cutting them out it was fairly straightforward.

The only thing is, the practice gem had 13 facets whereas the real deal have 13 million !!! But the edges of our gems matched tho' the inside facets didnt so well... that will be dodgy drawing or cutting or sewing then ... They still looked pretty damn good for a first effort.

Ive spoiled myself recently buying things that I really dont need but justify them by  five months stood in a carpark for hours and hours on end and I have bought her Gemstone quilts book ...

where she encourages you to design and make your own gemstone ... :laughing: ... Who knows ... maybe one day!

I will practice with the template I downloaded until Im very confident I can do the lovely fabrics included in the kits justice.

But for a first effort, I dont think its too shabby ...
here we go,

Helens Pink Tourmaline

and my Emerald

But I do console myself with a line in the destruction leaflet for the kits ....

Tip No 6 - The seams in these gems arent supposed to match !!!!  :dance:  Im good at that!

Celia

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2021, 10:44:44 AM »
They look great, you have bothe done a lovely job, I can’t wait to see more.

The one on the front of the book looks amazing but how many colours are there in it?

Iminei

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2021, 11:19:27 AM »
There is a gallery at the back with her and others creations.

the pic on the cover is identified as Between River and Sky.
It is 69" x 71" was made in 2018 and is part of the Bourbon Diamonds series.

Its freezer paper pieced using solid fabrics and machine quilted.

She had help creating this, crediting Amy Del Grosso and Bonnie Taylor but I dont know what part they played.
The later quilts  credit these two a lot and when I read further I might find out what they do.

One of her earlier quilts is called ****'s wedding quilt (36" sq) but she must have got my address wrong as it never reached me!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 13:54:09 PM by Iminei »

Lilian

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2021, 12:30:57 PM »
@Iminei they both look wonderful!  I am sure when you start it for real it will be stunning, well done! :thumbsup:
Willing but not always able :)