The Sewing Place

Adapting patterns

Ellabella

Adapting patterns
« on: November 10, 2021, 15:42:39 PM »
I am currently knitting this for GD
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/grannys-favourite.

She was here today so we held it up for size and it’s looking good.

She really could do with another cardigan so I was browsing Tikkiknits pattern and found another in a very similar shape but done in garter stitch.

Rather than buy the garter  stitch pattern could I just use the stitch count and increases etc. that I have on Granny’s Favourite, ditch the lace pattern and knit the whole thing in garter stitch with stocking stitch bands?

She is only just 3 so it is a small size so surely any size variation would be minimal.

Ouryve

Re: Adapting patterns
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 16:05:26 PM »
Garter stitch tends to be wider and more squat than stocking stitch so you would need to adjust your stitch count and number of rows between increases or decreases, accordingly
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Celia

Re: Adapting patterns
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 17:13:33 PM »
I think you might have a problem as it is knitted down from the yoke and garteitch does not have the stability of stocking stitch, however at such a small size you might get away with it just adjusting as Ouryve says.