The Sewing Place

Help what needle Janome

Celia

Help what needle Janome
« on: November 10, 2021, 17:30:21 PM »
I have my lovely new Janome 6700 and am trying some of the lovely stitches on quilting fabric on the iron on wading to make a bag and I don’t know which needle to use. Normally I would just pick a normal 80 but I have Janome needles Blue tip red tip etc and wondered what everyone else uses.

Don’t want to post this on the quilting board as I might get caught creeping into the dark side  :devil:

Syrinx

Re: Help what needle Janome
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 17:34:58 PM »
When quilting I always use schmetz quilting needles!

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 17:41:31 PM »
Schmetz quilting needles for me too  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 18:04:25 PM »
Wish I could advise.  My Brother is happy with Schmetz, either quilting or universal. Always good results.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bill

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 18:06:44 PM »
There's quilting needles?  :scream:
A year ago a needle was a needle.  :o
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Diane

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 18:09:12 PM »
I always use Schmetz quilting needles, pop over to the darkside @Celia you know you want to  :devil:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

KayK

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 18:18:27 PM »
i have the same machine as you, and I too use Schmetz needles, but I tend to use Microtex needles for most things (apart from sewing with metallic thread). 

I have found the Janome needles have a coloured coating on them (hence the red, blue purple colour coding) and, I know this sounds daft, but I have found that the coloured coating wears off, and the needle then drops out when sewing!  The coating is thick enough to make a difference- or so it seems, and as I have had two Janome needles drop into the feed dogs and cause an almighty jam, I will not use them again!

I have used Schmetz needles in a variety of machines with never, ever any trouble.  I do know that some Janome users prefer Organ needles, but I stick to what I know works!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Diane

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 18:26:26 PM »
There's quilting needles?  :scream:
A year ago a needle was a needle.  :o

There's quite a few different types of needles
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Bill

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 18:45:20 PM »
I always use Schmetz quilting needles, pop over to the darkside @Celia you know you want to  :devil:

Don't listen to her @Celia! It's a trap!
THE HORROR!!!  :scream:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 18:47:10 PM by Bill »

Diane

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 18:52:58 PM »
THE HORROR!!!  :scream:

@Bill  :S a little birdie tells me you've been over in the darkside all day today  ;) so it can't be that bad

Bill

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 19:14:23 PM »
I was lured in @Diane and there's no escape. It's like Hotel California.  :P

Celia

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 19:41:39 PM »
Ok I think I will stick to what I know, I usually use  schmetz needles and know where I am with those, just didnwant to make a mistake, my other Janome which is the straight stitch uses a special needle that is super expensive donttell anyone but I use ordinary schmetz needles in that too

Thank you everyone, I am sliding off before the dark side snaffles me :devil:

Helen M

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2021, 19:43:27 PM »
I don't quilt @Celia but have a Janome machine and I use the blue tip for most things that I sew. Try an ordinary one to see if it works out.

Strange thing happened though when I used a Blue tip on my 1989 Brother  3 thread overlocker which takes any normal needles. I broke 2 in swift succession and I can count on one hand with fingers to spare the number of needles I've ever broken on that machine!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Syrinx

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2021, 19:52:47 PM »
Schmetz quilting needles are shorter sharps so easier to quilt with. Love them

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2021, 22:40:03 PM »
Schmetz quilting needles are shorter sharps so easier to quilt with. Love them

If they are standard sewing machine needles, 130/705 they aren't shorter; if they were the machine wouldn't stitch with them.

Machine needles come in different thicknesses, with different points, with different eyes and with different finishes but if they are the same system (130/705 is the standard for domestic machines) they are the same length.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.