The Sewing Place

Purse zip

Vezelay

Re: Purse zip
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2021, 14:40:41 PM »
As @So Chic says. I find there's usually no need to trim until after you've sewn the zip in - but yes, always make sure you sewn over the teeth before trimming.

Just buy a metre of any fusible (ie iron-on) woven interfacing - most sewing suppliers sell it. You're bound to need it again. It's supposed to be cut in the same direction as the fabric but for smallish bags and purses I don't find that matters. If you already have a light/medium weight non-woven interfacing that would probably do, but woven is nicer if you have the choice.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 14:45:30 PM by Vezelay »

Diane

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2021, 14:54:41 PM »
@Vezelay Would the woven give it a bit of stiffness, looks quite soft
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Vezelay

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2021, 15:01:52 PM »
Yes, it's surprising I know but it seems to add just the right amount. Unless the pattern specifies something much firmer woven is usually your best bet. You'll have to try these things out for yourself in the end. But generally too soft is preferable to too stiff I find.

Diane

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2021, 15:07:09 PM »
I've just ordered some woven, it will get used for other things as well, thanks
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40