The Sewing Place

Dress code Glam/black tie

BrendaP

Dress code Glam/black tie
« on: November 11, 2021, 17:47:09 PM »
We have been invited to a 40th birthday party, which is lovely, but the dress code is glam/black tie.  Do I spend hours making something I might only wear once, or take a risk and wait until after Christmas and hope to find something in the sales?  It's not until the end of January so plenty of time.  Or would my quirky, Hadron Collider inspired Christmas party skirt be suitable if glammed up with a bit of shiny jewellery?
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The other problem is a husband whose preferred dress code is somewhere between Compo and Worzel Gummage!  He does have a dress suit hanging in the wardrobe but it's so long since he's worn it.  The jacket might still fit but I doubt if the trousers will!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lachica

Re: Dress code Glam/black tie
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 18:17:28 PM »
Wow! That's lovely. I think it'd work with a bit of bling. I also have a hub like that, he, however, doesn't possess a DJ. Which is fine as we're never likely to go anywhere that needs one.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 19:02:13 PM »
My husband has never owned, or even worn a dinner jacket . Love the skirt.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kad

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 19:13:52 PM »
DH has never owned a dinner jacket. He used to wear a jacket with selection of trousers for work,  more economical than a suit and the trousers could be machine washed rather than dry cleaned.
Since taking early retirement he lives in jeans and t shirt/ polo/ jumper combo just as he did as a student in the late 70's. Lately his jeans have been very fashionable - the type with more hole than Jean  0_0 won't get rid of them though. If I don't keep an eye on him he'll go out in public in them. Do all men turn into 'Compo' as they mature?
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 19:37:28 PM »
Your skirt is lovely and would look great dressed up. On the other hand, I think making something from scratch for a specific event can be very pleasurable as an exercise in it's own right. I made a long dress in royal blue silk dupion* (which I love working with) for the cruise we went on in 2019. I loved wearing it and it was well worth the effort. Even if I never get to wear it again, the pleasure it gave me at the time makes that irrelevant.

* I think I put pictures on my diary thread at the time.

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 19:47:36 PM »
Do all men turn into 'Compo' as they mature?

Hmm...I think Compo was quite grubby. Mine's not, it's just his clothes when he's in his workshop. He doesn't like buying new or throwing away worn out clothes. He does scrub up ok when necessary :D
Mary

coffeeandcake

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 20:12:12 PM »
Well, I would certainly be happy to wear that skirt with long sleeved top for glam wear. Dressed up with jewellery as you say @BrendaP.

Kad

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 20:15:24 PM »
DH is not grubby, it's just the external appearance of Compo that he seems to favour. I don't mind when he's in the garden/ garage/ workshop, in fact it's a blessing that he's not ruining better clothes but as long as he's comfy he really doesn't care how he looks  0_0
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 20:32:17 PM »
My OH is just the opposite. Far more fastidious about his appearance than I tend to be  :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vezelay

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 22:23:31 PM »
Do all men turn into 'Compo' as they mature?

Hmm...I think Compo was quite grubby. Mine's not, it's just his clothes when he's in his workshop. He doesn't like buying new or throwing away worn out clothes. He does scrub up ok when necessary :D

@Lachica yours and mine must be separated twins! He wasn't born in Woking by any chance?

@BrendaP your Collider dress is certainly glam. I don't do formal but for parties/ gatherings (Ah, I remember those) I try to wear something that a) I feel good in and b) fits the occasion. If you're happy that describes your dress then go for it. Unless it was a work thing DH would probably ignore the black tie anyway and wear smart casual. No parties here yet - we still have a pandemic

Lachica

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2021, 22:26:31 PM »
Haha @Vezelay ! Not born in Woking but Southgate, not far away :D
Mary

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2021, 06:34:54 AM »
Oh @BrendaP  ... you simply must wear that!!

Keep it simple on top with a statement collar necklace (I have several if you want a borrow)

But you MUST wear that!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 06:38:00 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Cazlyn

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2021, 06:52:21 AM »
@BrendaP your skirt is wonderful and will look fabulous dressed up with a bit of bling.  As for Mr Brenda you could always try local charity shops for a “new” suit for him.  To be honest though are the fashion/dress code police going to be at the door to the party?  I’d wear what you feel comfortable in.
Crafting is my happy place

Silver Rose

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2021, 07:16:02 AM »
@BrendaP you must wear your gorgeous  skirt with a black top and the biggest statement necklace you have, I am sure you can sort Mr B out with something smart.
Still learning

Celia

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2021, 08:13:56 AM »
Do wear your skirt it will look great with a bit of jewellery. 

As far as your husband, my son had a similar problem and got away with wearing ‘him in doors’s ‘ DJ jacket and a plain pair of black trousers.