The Sewing Place

Hello Everyone

Ian

Hello Everyone
« on: November 12, 2021, 11:02:55 AM »
Thank you for letting me join your sewing forum. I have only started sewing in the last 2 years, so have much to learn. I've recently discovered the joy of making Patchwork quilts - but one question. Why is the Patchwork & quilting section referred to as the dark side? Bit concerned that I should have perhaps avoided patchwork in my sewing!!

Sheilago

Re: Hello Everyone
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 11:06:48 AM »
Welcome @Ian. I’ve no idea why we’re called the dark side- our great leader @Iminei will know :laughing:
No need to worry, we are a lovely friendly group, whatever side you’re involved in!

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 11:07:41 AM »
Hello @Ian and welcome to the forum.  Have a brew and a browse, and jump right in!

Not a Darksider myself, but love to see what you all do.  :loveit:

Nice to welcome another NorthWesterner!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Diane

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 11:10:24 AM »
A big welcome to you from me ...........Fantastic, we have a newbie who we don't have to lure over to the darkside  :dance: We do like to see your projects along with progress pictures, i'm sure you'll love it here as we are a friendly bunch
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 13:03:32 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 11:15:07 AM »
Welcome to TSP, @Ian

The "darkside" comes from instructions when pressing seams on patchwork blocks. Seams can be pressed open or to the side; if pressing to the side, it is usually advised to press towards the darker fabric so that it won't show through lighter fabric. This is often described as "pressing to the darkside".

(There may be an alternative explanation that involves the original administrators of TSP being fans of Star Wars.)

Flobear

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 11:51:45 AM »
Welcome @Ian .

I came here to get help with my overlocker and got enticed into the abyss Dark Side - there are definitely connotations of mysterious goings on when you get started on P&Q (patcwork and quilting) although the pressing thing makes very good sense.

You will find lots of help and enthusiam here.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

realale

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 12:56:35 PM »
Welcome @Ian. Looking forward to getting to know you and seeing pictures of your makes (we like pictures!!)  :)
So many beers, so little time.

Sheilago

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 13:19:29 PM »
Welcome to TSP, @Ian

The "darkside" comes from instructions when pressing seams on patchwork blocks. Seams can be pressed open or to the side; if pressing to the side, it is usually advised to press towards the darker fabric so that it won't show through lighter fabric. This is often described as "pressing to the darkside".

(There may be an alternative explanation that involves the original administrators of TSP being fans of Star Wars.)

Interesting- I’ve been here for years and didn’t know that- the name I mean! I did know to press towards darker fabric, but never made the connection  :laughing:

Silver Rose

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 13:37:57 PM »
Hello and welcome @Ian from a Lightsider, that's  the dressmaking part of the forum but people do wander over the borders sometimes, no passport needed  ;)
Still learning

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 14:05:23 PM »
Hello, good afternoon and welcome  :)

Greybird

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2021, 14:10:58 PM »
Hello Ian - and welcome!

Helen M

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2021, 16:43:42 PM »
Welcome Ian from another Cheshire resident!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ellabella

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2021, 17:05:35 PM »
Hi Ian, just remember the Darkside is like Hotel California  :ninja:

Don’t worry, we have the quilt police locked up in Acorn’s shed and always have the best biscuits.  :laughing:

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2021, 17:22:42 PM »
As High Dementor of the Darkside I can confirm, that tho' that explanation is a very good one, it has no bearing on the reason we named The Darkside here at all ... Mwahahahahaha      :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2021, 19:17:32 PM »
Welcome from a lightsider who's never strayed to the dark side!