The Sewing Place

Pyjamas!

charlotte

Pyjamas!
« on: June 08, 2017, 12:00:56 PM »
But really smart ones that are bordering on acceptable to wear in public (only for long haul flights, unless I have a super-confident moment of madness!)

I'm thinking two pairs:

One holiday with friends and family nightwear/loungewear (inside only) pair in liberty cotton lawn, lined with cotton flannel, with piping.

One wear on the plane black cotton (also lined with cotton flannel) with liberty lawn (same one) contrast cuffs and collar.

And then a separate black cotton tank top with the liberty lawn as bias binding, which can be worn under both pairs with the jacket unbuttoned.

Am I mad? Can you ever wear pyjamas in public??

I'm also going to draft them from random blocks/patterns I already have, so I'll upload pics of my jacket toile soon!

wrenkins

Re: Pyjamas!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 12:17:44 PM »
First let me say for the record that PJs should never be worn in public...it's naff.
However while travelling in Italy a while back I saw a lady who was wearing baggy trousers, a loose vesty top thing and a long trailey Gilet thing (all sounds a bit random I'm afraid) in shades of soft grey and white. She looked elegant, cool and comfortable. May as well have been pyjamas. She was wearing make-up and jewellery so she didn't look as if she was just out of bed or just getting in.
If you can style them out then why not?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

charlotte

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »
Yes, to clarify, I mean an outfit in the style of luxury pyjamas. It would not be worn to bed, would get ironed and I would make sure I was wearing make-up, jewellery, styled hair and proper shoes to hammer home the point! One of my colleagues has a trouser suit very close to pyjamas and I can't quite put my finger on what makes it look not too much like nightwear!

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 13:09:54 PM »
Pyjama blouses as daywear (and full PJs as daywear) is very on-trend at the moment. Personally I couldn't pull it off, but if you wanted to I don't see why you can't. There are no fashion police. A "lite" version might be to just wear the blouse with PJ styling. This is very popular.

Piping really is the key.

First let me say for the record that PJs should never be worn in public...it's naff.

People can wear what they like, there are no rules. No "nevers".
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 13:54:01 PM by Francesca »

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 14:07:21 PM »
I would look like Waynetta Slob wandering the streets in PJs.  :S (google her young people).
Style it out and go for it...and let us see of course. We should have a nosey Parker emoji.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 14:16:29 PM »
They had racks of these type of blouses on 1/2 price sale in Sainsburys on Friday.  I didn't buy as I thought they looked too much like pyjamas.  :|

I'm going back tomorrow to see if they have any left!  ;)

OH tells me I'm stuck in the 80's.....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 15:17:58 PM »
What was wrong with the eighties??? As long as we all looked equally "attractive"... Pass the El**tt hair spray please.  :ninja:

dolcevita

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 15:26:31 PM »
I made a couple of pairs of PJs in January.  The first lot were in soft cotton flannel, the second in woven viscose with a paisley print. I used flat piping (satin bias) and used the same bias to cover buttons for them. 

You need to be millimetre perfect with the placement and sewing of the piping; not difficult but you need to be prepared for lots of tacking.

Here's my paisley pair:

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 15:56:29 PM »
Wrenkins, OH calls the contents of my wardrobe 'The Dallas Collection' !  It's still full of big shoulders, taffeta and bling!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 15:57:35 PM »
DV, those pyjamas are too nice to wear in bed!  <3

I'd get on a plane in those!  ;)

Jessie

dolcevita

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 16:08:34 PM »
Thanks, Jessie.  They are very straightforward apart from the piping, and not expensive to make.  The printed viscose, satin bias and coverable buttons were all from fabricland. The fabric was under £5/m and the notions weren't much.  Hard to remember now, but I think the whole lot came in at well under £15.

I really like the pyjama style blouses - a very pretty look.  I used a PJ top pattern from Burda magazine - I'll look up which issue shortly.  I used my own PJ trouser pattern that I traced from an ancient pair that were heading for the bin - a dead easy 2 piece pattern.

I think you can get away with a cheaper fabric for these, as long as you are prepared to put some work into the finishing which really lifts them.  The deep cuffs are piped, too, and I mirrored this at the bottom of the legs. 

charlotte

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 16:11:19 PM »
Ooh I'm getting very excited about my new PJs now. LOVE yours dolcevita. I hope mine turn out half that nice.

I have chosen my fabric I think:

Should (hopefully) look nice with black piping and for the contrast elements on my black set. It's a bit more 'edgy' than I was originally thinking but I've fallen in love with it. Just have to hope they have it in stock when I go on Saturday to spend my birthday Liberty coins!

dolcevita

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 16:15:14 PM »
Beautiful fabric, Charlotte.  I've checked for the pattern and used the PJ top out of the January issue of Burda.  A good pattern but the cuffs are a little narrow at their bottom edge, if anyone should use it.

For any pear-shaped gals out there, the Sewaholic Tofino lounge pants pattern is great.  I've made them a couple of times and they are lovely, but use a prodigious amount of fabric.

charlotte

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 10:09:42 AM »
Right, I'm in the process of drafting my jacket pattern. Quick question: usually I would make the undercollar a smidge smaller than the upper collar so that the stitching rolls underneath, but if I'm using piping round the edge, should I make them the same size?