The Sewing Place

Up Up and Away Cushion

toileandtrouble

Re: Up Up and Away Cushion
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2021, 14:57:35 PM »
@Diane  I just read somewhere that if you dampen the paper, it makes it easier to tear away.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2021, 15:43:18 PM »
@Diane .. I used cheap childrens tracing paper (99p for an A4 pack of 10 sheets?) which printed fine and as you sew to the reverse of the paper there was no chance of transfer of ink
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Diane

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 15:44:13 PM »
@toileandtrouble Thanks for that, i'll see what it's like when i get to the stage.

Well the first two pieces i bu**ered up  :laughing: so i redone those. After doing a few bits i now get the gist of it. The only thing that i'm finding difficult is making the right colour choices, I'm not sure it goes what i've done but i've started it now so i'll just carry on, i'll do this as a practice piece. I've managed to do 10 pieces this afternoon so quite happy with that.

@Iminei Thanks i'll get some of that, wasn't sure if it would print very well so bought the vellum paper.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 15:48:12 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

StitchinTime

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2021, 16:58:31 PM »
@Diane Patterntrace sells A4 FPP paper at £11.90 for 100 sheets which might be another option if you can't find cheap tracing paper.
https://www.patterntrace.com/product/foundation-paper/

Diane

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2021, 17:13:37 PM »
@StitchinTime  Thanks for that, i've bookmarked it  :thumb:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

rubywishes

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2021, 19:07:36 PM »
  @Diane   I use very cheap thin A4 note pads that I buy from the local office superstore...I think they're about 55gm instead of the usual 80gm wt of ordinary paper. Ridiculously cheap. The only thing I have to do is feed it one sheet at a time through my printer rather than putting a heap in the printer tray...that makes my printer very unwell and constipated!

If you can, buy yourself a cheap lightbox...it's been a life saver for me with my current project and saved me so much unpicking through wrong placement. :)
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Diane

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2021, 20:32:49 PM »

If you can, buy yourself a cheap lightbox...it's been a life saver for me with my current project and saved me so much unpicking through wrong placement. :)

I have a lightbox, i'll dig this out in the morning and try that, thanks @rubywishes

Celia

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2021, 23:04:25 PM »
I really like the look of this but am so confused about how you do it there seems to be sooo many different ways on YouTube that I got lost

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2021, 23:31:35 PM »
I really like the look of this but am so confused about how you do it there seems to be sooo many different ways on YouTube that I got lost

@Celia that's why some of us say any type of paper piecing must be the work of the Devil.  :devil:  You either love it or not.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Diane

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2021, 06:12:00 AM »

@Celia i know it looks complicated but in actual fact it’s not. I looked at a few videos and then just used one of them to refer to when I started doing it. How about printing off a free pattern, something small and just have a practice with it. I messed up my first two attempts but now I know what I’m doing and it’s really quite simple.

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2021, 06:21:38 AM »
Or how about using one of TSP FPP tutorials ??????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2021, 09:47:22 AM »
I am a bit tempted by this one, https://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/assets/images/sewalongs/FollowTheBlueBird/PaperPiecedBird.pdf

I have had a look at the valentines heart @Iminei and that looks great but I can’t get it to print either from your file or the Pinterest link. I am however learning from your tuts so thank you

Lowena

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2021, 10:03:08 AM »
What @Renegade Sewist said  :thumb:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Diane

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2021, 11:40:28 AM »
Good progress this morning, i now have 49 pieces pieced together, i now need to dig out anther set of colours, just hoping i have a few different types in my stash.

Diane

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2021, 14:35:48 PM »
This afternoon i have finished piecing the balloon parts, i have now have a pile of jigsaw like bits that i now have to put together  :faints: I think this is a job for Monday when DH is at work and i don't have any interruptions, i had to redo three sections earlier due to chit chat about his bitcoins that have dropped in price  :laughing: and then he asked me if i'd like to invest some money ....not on your nelly  :laughing: