The Sewing Place

My first 'proper' handbag and a stash buster too!

Marniesews

My first 'proper' handbag and a stash buster too!
« on: November 17, 2021, 10:15:45 AM »
I finally got around to making a proper handbag - my friend's upcoming birthday gave me a bit of impetus but I'm already feeling a bit hooked. I used some polyester furnishing fabric from Immanuel's previously used for a doll carrying bag and some Liberty lawn print (a misprint from Standfast & Barracks at least 5 years ago). Good savings there helped to offset the cost of three different interfacings, hardware & zips and my friend will love the bag even more for the tale of its frugal fabrics. I saved on buying most of the hardware from a pet accessories company and I got away without rivets (which I don't have yet) by using the buttonhole function for a sturdy but very subtle bar tack, No problem sewing it as the fabric has a nice soft fibre :D

Anyone else have good tips for bag making on good quality components at frugal prices? Ive started a doc with details of who has what with prices, p&p etc to help in finding good value plus bundling options to avoid to many different p&p charges. I used the medium woven interfacing from Little Stitcher Sews at half the cost of Vilene G700 and I really like it. The Thermolam fleece was a good price from them too (£3 per half metre) plus no extra p&p. Their Tex 40 thread (Saba) sewed beautifully in my domestic machine and the colour match was fantastic considering it was selected on a computer screen. I'm planning to try their waterproof canvas soon to line a future bag too. It's the lighter weight so should have no problems on my machine.

Very pleased with the pattern too from Country Cow Designs in Cornwall. It's one of her beginner patterns at a low price of £2 and worth every penny. It came together so well and has some lovely details like the card slots inside the interior pocket. The sewalongs on this pattern from the designer and also SiahSwag and Jess OklaRoots meant I knew it inside out before I picked up the scissors. That made such a contrast with learning to sew for ballroom those years ago, even now there's a dearth of good quality information and free advice outside of FB groups.

I've just got some Aldi FQs of Harry Potter fabrics for some Christmas stocking gifts for my HP megafan daughter and my grandson's girlfriend. Zipped pouches, a handbag organiser insert and perhaps a quilted sunglasses case for my granddaughter's oversized sunglasses but definitely not in HP fabric for her!

Yes, the card slots!!!
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Gernella

Re: My first 'proper' handbag and a stash buster too!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 10:26:52 AM »
That is very nice @Marniesews  roomy as well,  I like a lot of room for the usual rubbish.  Nice colour as well, I could live with that very easily. :thumb:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 11:12:49 AM »
Very nice  0_0

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 13:27:57 PM »
That's lovely. I could be tempted to try one.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 14:49:18 PM »
Very nice and my fave colour!   It’s the sort of bag I like.  Crossbody, not too big.  I love the card slots.  Great idea as I haven’t been carrying any cash with me since you know what! 

realale

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 15:17:47 PM »
That looks a very handy bag and I'm sure will be very well received. A lovely colour as well.  :thumb:
I gave up carrying a handbag years ago and use the pockets on my waistcoats and use my phone pouch which hangs off my belt.
So many beers, so little time.

mudcat

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 15:40:58 PM »
Nice!  It's my favorite color too.

Silver Rose

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 16:10:38 PM »
That's  great,  love the colour too.
Still learning

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 18:50:15 PM »
That’s a lovely bag, beautifully made.

Also thanks for introducing me to a new bag designer, will be trying a couple of her patterns soon .

Marniesews

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 18:57:07 PM »
Sorry folks, TSP is having a grumpy fit and won't let me 'like' anything!

Thank you for the kind words, I'd definitely recommend the Teloujay 1.0 pattern or the Teloujay 2.0 with two outside pockets - front zipped and the back is a slip pocket.

The results are certainly encouraging me to try more. Don't think I can avoid it really as my DD has dropped some hints.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2021, 18:58:39 PM »
Who are your favourite designers @Ellabella ?

Ellabella

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 19:16:14 PM »
@Marniesews, I usually do more casual bags, purses and wallets.

I use Diane Spencer Ogg, Mrs H and Swoon. I have also made the Cloudsplitter Summit bag which was a lovely pattern to make but the design wasn’t really for me.

I am looking to try something more formal as I have some leather I want to use.

I agree that hardware is often the most expensive part and have never thought of looking at a dog accessories site.

You learn something everyday.  :thumb:

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2021, 19:27:44 PM »
This is where I got mine @Ellabella . They're certainly strong and in a wide range of sizes and colours including rainbow which rather surprised me.

Ellabella

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2021, 19:45:42 PM »
@Marniesews that site is very interesting, a good range at good prices.  There must be some very well dressed dogs around.

I’m looking for at least 5m of webbing for my next project and they have some very pretty colours.