The Sewing Place

Smart non shirt tops

Syrinx

Smart non shirt tops
« on: November 18, 2021, 08:21:14 AM »
Hey everyone.

Looking for some free/cheap patterns for nice smart tops (preferably not button down shirts as have a pattern for those already) as I need to make a bunch.

I figured you lovely lot would probably have a stash of links or suggestions. I've been looking through this season's offerings and feeling very uninspired!

b15erk

Re: Smart non shirt tops
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 09:50:37 AM »
I've just made another Presto Popover top from Savage Coco Patterns, and I like it just as much as when I made it years ago.  It has an unusual construction - but very easy.

It used to be a free pattern, but I've just had a quick look, and it's not free any more...

It's available HERE

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 15:40:32 PM »
Quite a few here I made the Chelsea and monique a few times for summer wear. If i remember rightly you have to sign up for emails to access the patterns
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

mudcat

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 15:48:36 PM »
@sewmuchmore how well are those patterns drafted?  Mood Fabrics has free patterns but I've always read they are poorly drafted.  I keep thinking I should order some linen from FS because their prices are good but I am afraid it may be poor quality.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 16:01:31 PM »
@mudcat the ones i have used have been ok, but they are un-structed and designed for linen fabric so you won't find anything too tailored. Plus the ones i have used have been free so nothing to loose really.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 17:36:47 PM »
I like the StyleArc Harlow - and StyleArc have a wide selection of non-shirt top patterns, knit and woven.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 12:45:54 PM »
I've just made another Presto Popover top from Savage Coco Patterns, and I like it just as much as when I made it years ago.  It has an unusual construction - but very easy.

It used to be a free pattern, but I've just had a quick look, and it's not free any more...

It's available HERE

Jessie

I really like the look of this @b15erk , and there's a downloadable version too. Is the sizing pretty accurate? I have a similar pattern KwikSew 3658 but the V neck in various reviews looks too low for me.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 09:20:18 AM »
@Vezelay , From what I remember this top is on the slim side, but mine is heavily edited as I'm a bit busty!  In fact, this last one turned out a little snug, because I hadn't allowed for the lack of stretch in the fabric I used.  Very easy to adjust though, especially the neck height.

I would use the first one as a (wearable) toile, so that so can see how everything goes together.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Vezelay

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 22:29:46 PM »
Thanks @b15erk, that's useful. Maybe I'll have a look at my pattern first, see if I can easily raise the neckline from plunging to respectable. Grateful for the prompt from this thread

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 09:33:01 AM »
@Vezelay , the neck height is determined by how high you sew the front seam which joins the two front pieces together.  My first one showed rather too much cleavage, but on later ones I have adjusted the length of the seam.  As long as you leave the neck opening wide enough to fit your head through, you will be fine.

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2021, 16:16:07 PM »
For anyone interested the Presto top is half price at the mo as are the other patterns there.