The Sewing Place

Is this too difficult for me

Celia

Is this too difficult for me
« on: November 18, 2021, 14:43:30 PM »
I went into my stash of forgotten kits etc and found this is it too difficult  a beginner

I also found these 2 which I will definitely try to do

Lowena

Re: Is this too difficult for me
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 15:22:27 PM »
You're very talented and experienced @Celia I'm sure they would not be beyond you.
Sometimes I wish I didn't know exactly what I have ( no kits :( ) and I might get a nice surprise :D
I love the snowscene and the bears and will look forward to seeing the finished articles  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Diane

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 16:22:59 PM »
I went into my stash of forgotten kits etc and found this is it too difficult  a beginner
@Celia I love the wall hanging  :loveit: Look forward to seeing you complete this
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

realale

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 16:28:50 PM »
You'll be able to do it no problem!!
I've made loads like that and they are easier than they look. Go for it.  :thumb:
So many beers, so little time.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 16:51:05 PM »
Wheres difficult ... Applique yes? gets some heat n bond (Lite) and away you go ...

Easius Peasius .. Looking forward to seeing the finished article ...

Looooving the snow scene ... Maybe a layer of organza over some of the snow would make it sparkle a lil??? (just remember to cover the scene with a clean tea towel/calico/cloth/sheet of paper before ironing the organza down to avoid melting it)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 16:59:49 PM »
@Iminei not appliqué but this

Don’t really know where to start so I think it might just go back into hibernation for about 30 years. It’s dated 1997……
Will start with the Christmas bears or maybe even the card

@Lowena my excuse is I have been sewing for a lot longer than you and I have no self control when I go to exhibitions

Diane

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 17:02:37 PM »
@Celia  oh my gosh  :faints: I think i'd be putting that back in the drawer, makes my balloon cushion look easy
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

realale

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 17:04:12 PM »
@Celia Break it down into sections and it isn't too bad......
It just looks fiddly rather than difficult.  :P
So many beers, so little time.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 17:17:09 PM »
Oh Wow!!!!

Templates or FPP ??? Just noticed the Iron on templates included bit on the cover ...

So really its the same as My gemstone patterns!
I would suggest you try something simpler to find how you get on with the technique as I and Helen did with the practice template for a simple Gem from MJ Kinmans website.

What we found was it was the prep that took the time, the actual assembly was quite quick and straightforward.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 17:21:02 PM by Iminei »

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 17:22:09 PM »
I'm sure it could be done as applique... it is lovely.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Celia

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 17:24:36 PM »
Mmmmm I think you are right @Iminei i will try something simpler first but I might take @Diane  advise and put it back in the draw, well cupboard, I have too many for a draw :devil:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 17:31:34 PM by Iminei »

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 17:32:38 PM »
As Applique it would be a doddle! Which is why I thought it was.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 21:14:25 PM »
It's a variation on FPP. She still has a website! There's a free sample block. I linked to the page for this scene. Our FPP experts can look and advise as to level of difficulty.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2021, 06:26:19 AM »
That link will be really helpful ... theres a HELPFUL TIPS Linky too especially for the snow scene.

The rest of her landscapes are pretty impressive too!!

I think @Celia  if you do some practice runs first and then go slow and steady that you could pull this off brilliantly ... or   use the fabric to applique it!

Celia

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2021, 09:11:10 AM »
Wow
Thank you for the links to the website. I don’t even remember buying this kit I have no idea where I got it but I am sure I didn’t realise how it was done. I love the fact that I have the fabric for it too.

I think I will put this on hold until after Christmas but I am looking to find a small project to practise on and see if I like it. Right now I am sure I would mess it up, my brain is a bit disorganised at the moment