The Sewing Place

Blouse for teacher!

Catllar

Blouse for teacher!
« on: November 19, 2021, 13:02:52 PM »
My flamenco teacher has asked me to mke her  boho peasant blouse and I thought I had pattersn galore for those, but no, they went in the last cull.

So I'm looking for a gathered neck- with or without a frill ( I don't think that would be too flattering on her)  that can be worn off shoulder or on, with long  sleeves gathered into a cuff. I guess I need raglan shaping to be able to scuff it off the shoulder.

I have some pretty cotton batiste and some cotton lace for a few sleeve inserts and all I'm missing is a pattern.  She's a big gal with 121cm bust.  Any ideas please? 
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Starryfish

Re: Blouse for teacher!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 16:37:03 PM »
How about Anita from Style Arc?

https://www.stylearc.com/shop/pdf-sewing-patterns/anita-peasant-blouse-pdf/

It goes up to size 30.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Esme866

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 22:37:55 PM »
@Catllar @Starryfish 's suggestion looks spot on.  I made myself several shirts virtually identical to that one "back in the day".

I was just explaining to my parents last night how useful they were back then. My favorite disco only sold beer and setups. Liquor and wine had to be carried in in unopened bottles. Liquor was pricey when purchased in small pints or half pints, so we would buy fifths (much larger - 1 liter +?) When we could afford it, but we of course never drank it in one go. So on the nights we had those large bottles opened, I'd have to wear a peasant blouse so it would slip up into my sleeve!.

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 22:52:58 PM »
@Starryfish  that looks the job! Thanks. @Esme866  practical as well - win win!

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 13:31:06 PM »
So this is being a pig and I can't entirely understand why.  Here are the issues.
1) It is raglan sleeve but the sleeve scye is very low. This restricts movement for dancing - contrary to what you'd think the snugger a top fits into the armscye the easier it is to raise arms above the head when the top is worn tightly tucked into a skirt or pants.
2) If I use the pattern as is then it's too high in the neck and therefore too narrow across the top to allow it to pull down off the shoulder.

3)If I add width at the neck and raglan edge to enable me to pull it off the shoulder the sleeve scye drops even lower and the thing looks like a poet's shirt and the sleeves are too long ( I made a muslin for test purposes)

So I am considering removing length from the neck opening down. This will bring the armscye higher under the armpit - more movement without untucking from the skirt and will leave a more open neckline.

How can something so simple be so blood contrary??

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 16:29:23 PM »
I can’t see a reason why you couldn’t put a gusset in for more movement. 

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 17:21:37 PM »
Gussets will only add fullness and fullness under the arm isn't needed. I have been playing with it today and have simply cut of about 10cms from the  top of the sleeve, neck edge front and back. Looks better. This gives plenty of space to pull it down off the shoulder and the gather tie will pull it in. That;s the plan! My dressmaker dummy isn't big enough to help much and neither am I so even pinning it on me isn't helping much. Anyhow I have enough cheap fabric to make up a rough muslin and try it on her.  Like I said, how can something so simple be so contrary? Have I completely lost the ability to think??

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 22:01:37 PM »
Thought it might give some added movement so the arms could be raised. 
But,  like your alteration.  Hope it works out.

jen

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 08:32:46 AM »
Cutting a wide boat neck hacking a couple of inches off the top of the sleeve is the way I have always got the off the shoulder look for whichever daughter craves the look at the time.

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 13:47:10 PM »
I started again this morning with a fresh muslin, hacked a lump off the top edges as you said, Jen and this time I remembered to leave enough fabric to turn a chennel for the gathering to work. Why didn't numbnut do that before? :faints: WOuld have saved much time and annoyance. I ran the muslin  up v. quick and to be honest it still looks like a chemise or poet's blouse/shirt but then she is so much bigger than me. However. The gathering cord made a huge difference and I think it'll work for a fitting. 

jen

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 08:09:17 AM »
Sounds promising @Catllar . You can overthink ‘drafting’, I find. Sometimes the simple fix works.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 11:49:42 AM »
Sounds promising @Catllar . You can overthink ‘drafting’, I find. Sometimes the simple fix works.

I find the same.  I'm sure it’s because we’ve been taught to follow rules.  If it works, go for it!

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2021, 17:39:31 PM »

You're right.Guilty as charged!

Catllar

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2021, 17:24:16 PM »
I've done it apart from making a 1/8" tube for a drawstring into the neckline channel.  I have put a frill round the neck as she requested and a donut frill on the sleeve before gathering into an elastic. I think I've cracked it. She said she wants waterfall frill down the front bit I took an executive decision to veto that one - you can have too much of a good thing after all!