The Sewing Place

3” squares galore!

Sheilago

3” squares galore!
« on: November 20, 2021, 17:52:21 PM »
My sister runs a charity shop ( Mary’s Meals) and they’ve received 2 bags for life full of 3” squares of mainly good quality cotton curtain fabric. I recognise some as Laura Ashley fabric. They obviously belonged to a sewing enthusiast. See photo.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
 Before they are binned, I thought I’d mention it in case anyone could use them- they were obviously intended for patchwork , but could perhaps even be used for a school craft activity or for a patchwork class.
I am happy to send however many you’d want for the cost of postage plus perhaps a very small donation to Mary’s Meals, should you wish.

Iminei

Re: 3” squares galore!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 18:06:37 PM »
THis would be a wonderful project for someone ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

sewmuchmore

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 17:45:34 PM »
Why will they be binned? why not just bundle them into smaller bags and put them in the shop. At worst take them to the local recycling centre who will shred them and then sell them for other uses. My centre sells to a local carpet manufacture.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Sheilago

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 19:35:40 PM »
Thanks for those ideas @sewmuchmore . I think my sister is planning to sell small bags of them, but there are probably thousands and there’s limited demand in quite a small town . She is very environmentally conscious, so she’ll do what she can to avoid land fill. Storage in the shop is also limited. You wouldn’t believe the volume of donations they receive.
 We could also put some on Ebay and probably will, but I’ve done that in the past with tartan scraps and it’s a lot of  fuss going to the post office frequently with very small amounts.
We don’t have a fabric recycling place locally. We have a clothing bank, but they don’t want scraps.
However, happily I do have one TSPer who is interested in taking quite a lot depending on postage costs. I might buy some myself, though my stash boxes  are already overflowing!