The Sewing Place

Textile Artwork

realale

Re: Textile Artwork
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2021, 16:22:48 PM »
Thank you for the link to your work and all the others as well. I really enjoyed looking at those and liked how the artists represented their walk through so many different ways. I've enjoyed doing similar things so I was very interested in all the different techniques used.Brilliant work. Thank you.  :thumb:
So many beers, so little time.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2021, 17:09:32 PM »
Some wonderful work there and such a pleasure to look through.
Thank you for the link  :hug:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

mudcat

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2021, 20:57:28 PM »
Heh .. I saw page 10 by Jenni Eldridge and was all "wow, impressive" and then saw it was a photograph rather than fiber.  :laughing:

I really enjoyed all the different stuff.  I wish I could find a class like that.

Lachica

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2021, 21:21:13 PM »
Those are wonderful. What a fabulous project. They are all quite different and very creative.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2021, 22:05:40 PM »
Heh .. I saw page 10 by Jenni Eldridge and was all "wow, impressive" and then saw it was a photograph rather than fiber.  :laughing:

I think she might have been the person who posted about lots of domestic problems and couldn't complete the course in the time frame. 

I really enjoyed all the different stuff.  I wish I could find a class like that.

The very last page of the e-book includes a link to register an interest if the course is repeated, although I have no idea whether or not it will be repeated.

Also explore the Fibre Arts Take Two Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/fibreartstaketwo?fbclid=IwAR0ie5eDGc27FYT0YcUrYEGMtLPlVZm-GJ5s4LAPipSyzpxnhtCAdRQVxlQ

They run lots of fibre/textile courses, and they also have Friday Feature Artist interviews which are live Facebook videos but the recordings stay on FB for some time.  That's how I found the Cas Holmes course.

The courses aren't cheap; but you have them for 'ever' so can always go back to them.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2021, 09:18:01 AM »
@BrendaP ... I'm always interested and terrified in equal measures about textile artwork but seeing these Im wondering whether my Appliqued coastal cottage would have been allowed?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2021, 10:33:39 AM »
@BrendaP ... I'm always interested and terrified in equal measures about textile artwork but seeing these Im wondering whether my Appliqued coastal cottage would have been allowed?
@Iminei
It's not a case of "allowed" or "not allowed", it was the end of course exhibition by students on that course and the theme was the paths we walked through lockdown wherever in the world we are.  I think Fibre Arts Take Two  do a similar thing with each course they run. 

All of the pieces (except the photo!) would have used much  the same techniques; dry collage of various fabrics and papers to get a background, temporarily held together with carboxy-methyl-cellulose (wallpaper paste) and then more layers of applique, and maybe found items, added then the whole lot held together with hand and/or machine stitching.

You probably didn't use the wallpaper paste - indeed that was new to most of us but everyone agreed that although initially messy it's much nicer to work with than other adhesives because when you get to the sewing stages as it doesn't clog the needle and also it's pretty inert and harmless.  But otherwise, apart from not being the 3:1 landscape format, it would have fitted the brief although we were encouraged to dye/stain/mark fabrics ourselves and to upcycle pre-loved stuff.  As is clear from the e-book everone's style is different, indeed it would be wrong if we weren't.

I haven't been doing much of it the last couple of weeks, but once all the Christmas stuff is out of the way I do want to get down to doing more of this sort of thing.  Cas called it painting with cloth.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

PollyWally

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2021, 23:20:56 PM »
@Iminei How is Starry Night going ? The first photos you put up were lovely.