The Sewing Place

How do you know what the quality is like for online upholstery fabric?

JohnSnug

I've been looking at upholstery fabric for making curtains and cushions (I assume that's what's used for curtains) but I don't really know where to start or what I should be looking for. Some fabrics are silly expensive and some a lot cheaper but I'm not exactly sure what the difference is? Is it just the design, brand, or the thickness and weight maybe?

I'm not ready to buy yet anyway, it's more learning exercise for when I do want to buy. I don't mind paying more for a fabric if it's worth it but I'm having a hard time knowing what's good value and not. What do you look for when buying a new fabric, is it strictly the design?

I know I could buy a load of samples, and I will get samples before I buy, but if there's a way to save time and narrow it down a little that would be great.

Thanks

Tamnymore

Re: How do you know what the quality is like for online upholstery fabric?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 16:32:27 PM »
If you are buying online you would probably go by the manufacturer of the fabric eg. Sanderson, Harlequin, Scion, Liberty are all good names. But if you are a complete newbie you would be best to look in person at least to get some ideas. There are some places which do good makes at cheaper prices so it really depends where you live. The places I like are all in Lancashire, Yorkshire or Cheshire if that's any good.
It's furnishing fabric rather than upholstery fabric although sometimes it's the same thing but you probably don't want something very heavy and not with a flame retardant finish for curtains.

I see you live in Wales. I wonder if you are anywhere near Abakhan HQ in Mostyn.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 16:34:05 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 17:29:45 PM »
Have a look here. I think they still have a Black Friday sale on. Upholstery Fabric has to stand up to a rub test, which they will point out, to ensure that it's hard-wearing enough for upholstery but it can still be used for curtains if you want to. They also have a facility for working out how much fabric you need according to your measurements.

Edit: I have bought from them several times online and the quality is excellent.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 17:32:03 PM by Greybird »

BlueCat

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 18:59:34 PM »
Most online suppliers can supply samples (usually at no cost).
If you have a Dunelm close, they have larger curtain samples hanging up to see how they hang. Try M&S online as well.