The Sewing Place

What fabric is this?

Diane

What fabric is this?
« on: November 24, 2021, 08:52:06 AM »
Last week i turned a lovely white top into a grey one by accidently leaving something dark in the washing machine. What i'd like to know is what fabric type is it, there's no label as i've probably chopped it off at some point. it's very soft, hangs nicely and has a very short plush pile on it almost like velvet.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 09:04:43 AM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Acorn

Re: What fabric is this?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 09:12:47 AM »
I really am not an expert, but viscose was the first thing that sprang to my mind.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 10:34:01 AM »
@Diane you can get Dylon Colour Run Remover which will rescue your lovely top.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 11:13:37 AM »
It's a brushed fabric of some sort; likely brushed viscose/rayon.  Does it crease easily?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Diane

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 11:18:08 AM »
Thankyou ladies

@Greybird I did try that and although it's faded it hasn't completely removed it.
@BrendaP It is brushed and doesn't crease easily, it's very soft
@Acorn It could be, maybe a brushed viscose as mentioned previously
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 12:01:40 PM »
Difficult to tell in a piccie. 
Drapey, then viscose springs to mind.  No creases, then polyester is a possibility or tender.  Sweaty to wear…..polyester.   :thinking:

Diane

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 12:15:33 PM »
@Ohsewsimple it's very soft, drapey and not sweaty to wear, what's tender? it almost feels like a very soft brushed velvet but it's not that. Just wish it had a label

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 12:39:41 PM »
@Ohsewsimple it's very soft, drapey and not sweaty to wear, what's tender? it almost feels like a very soft brushed velvet but it's not that. Just wish it had a label

:laughing: :laughing:  So sorry @Diane.  Note to self……read before posting! :thinking:
It should read tencel

Diane

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 13:13:20 PM »
@Ohsewsimple Just had a look at Tencel fabric, i like the look of it and it looks very similar, the weave on the top i have is a lot finer

Lilian

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2021, 20:23:39 PM »
I agree with Brushed Viscose.
Willing but not always able :)

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 23:51:10 PM »
General opinion seems to be that it's some type of man-made fibre, ie a rayon manufactured from plant material, but there are so many different brands.

The original 'art silk' dating from the late 19th century was  rayon manufactured from wood pulp dissolved in cupromonium and sodium hydroxide (caustic soda).  Modern brand names include Cupro and Bemberg.

Soon afterwards came viscose rayon where the wood fibres are dissolved in carbon disulphide and sodium hydroxide.  Modal is the biggest modern brand name.

Lyocell developed in the 1970s is a rayon where the cellulose fibres are dissolved in N-Methylmorpholine N-oxide in a 'closed loop' process whereby the chemicals are not released into the environment meaning that it's more eco-friendly although it does use a lot of energy.  Brand names include Tencel.
Lyocell

Nowadays it's not always wood pulp that's used for man-made fibres, bamboo and even sea-weed can be used

@Diane   Because it's soft and doesn't crease my guess is that your blouse is of the lyocell variety

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.