The Sewing Place

A not very Christmassy Christmas Lap Quilt

Lemon Syllabub

A not very Christmassy Christmas Lap Quilt
« on: November 25, 2021, 17:27:09 PM »
I’m in the VERY early stages of making my first ever proper quilt.  :o
It’s the ’Stars and Spruces’ lap quilt from the Quilting Christmas Projects booklet that came with issue 104 of Love Patchwork and Quilting.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I decided to make it in non Christmassy looking fabric incase it takes me til January to finish it!  :laughing:

Here’s my first block ….
It isn't perfect...it's a learning curve and I'm enjoying having a play.  :love: :love: :love:

One down eight to go!!!  :dance:

Diane

Re: A not very Christmassy Christmas Lap Quilt
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 17:31:33 PM »
That's a pretty quilt  :loveit:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 17:47:22 PM »
Dont understand why the background colours change ????

Ohhh ... is it not fabrics but measurements??? Ok!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

realale

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 14:25:40 PM »
A lovely way to dip your toe into the darkside. Well done. I like your first block.  :thumb:
So many beers, so little time.

William

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 16:04:08 PM »
Well done! Looks like you are well on your way...

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Bjay

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 12:14:33 PM »
@Lemon Syllabub welcome to the Darkside. That looks a very pretty quilt to begin with  :thumb:
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 13:27:43 PM »
I’ve finished my five tree blocks.  I made the first one in its entirety so I knew what I was supposed to be doing  :rolleyes: and then did the remaining four as 'a production line' which was much quicker and strangely therapeutic. :meditate:
I really like this Darkside.  :love:

I’m about to start cutting out my star blocks.

:dance:

Pearl

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 14:22:51 PM »
@Lemon Syllabub , you are a natural!  That’s the way we do things in these parts - make one block first just in case. 

Look forward to seeing your star blocks.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 15:28:54 PM »
Speaking of production lines.... I found this Youtube chanel this morning. What a speedy whizz!!! I don't think I'll ever be that proficient.  :rolleyes:

So.. an update on my star blocks. I laid the tree blocks ontop of the fabric I was going to use for the star block background to get a better idea of the contrast and it just didn't work. :facepalm:
I've ordered a diiferent fabric which should arrive any day, fingers crossed.

The tree blocks are made using CSTs which means you end up with lots of 'spare' triangles. I sewed the pairs of triangles together and I now have a pile of HSTs which I thought I might use in a cushion cover to go with my quilt.

I was at the shops the other day and just happened to see the next issue of the Love Patchwork and Quilting magazine which just happened to have some beginner friendly patterns using HSTs and QSTs. Needless to say I bought it. :rolleyes:

I can't start my cushion yet until I've finished the quilt as I want to use the off cuts from the star blocks as well as from the tree blocks.

So I ended up having a play using some different fabric!!!

This could be the beginning of a cushion or the beginning of another quilt. Who knows.  :dance:

I loooove this dark side sooo much  <3 

Diane

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 15:43:10 PM »
@Lemon Syllabub I like your star block and the colours work well together.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 15:53:18 PM »
@Diane
I was just about to press post when I was logged out!  :laughing:

Thank you. I do like blue.  <3

My blue block is far from perfect but I'm hoping that once it's quilted (and in use), the fact the diagonals don't quite line up won't be so noticeable!!!
 :rolleyes:

Thank goodness those quilt police are under lock and key. :dance:

Diane

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 16:15:27 PM »

My blue block is far from perfect

When something is handmade i think the imperfections makes it even more lovely, it shows how much love has gone into it. I never worry about perfecting points etc i'd be forever unpicking if i did.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 16:37:30 PM »
When something is handmade i think the imperfections makes it even more lovely, it shows how much love has gone into it. I never worry about perfecting points etc i'd be forever unpicking if i did.

That's so interesting you've said that. I'm finding sewing these patchworks so relaxing that I really don't mind if things don't line up... which for one of life's picture straighteners is quite an admission!

....... when it comes to sewing clothes on the other hand....if it isn't precise I have to unpick it or else I know I'll never wear it. 

All I can say is I love this darkside.....
For me I'm finding it very calming, very relaxing, very Zen. 
:meditate: :meditate: :meditate:

Diane

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 16:43:41 PM »
@Lemon Syllabub I agree, if it's clothes then i would unpick it, i do unpick some of my patchwork but it depends what it is. I've spent years at work having to do things 110% correct due to the nature of the job, i'm also a picture straightener even if it's only a 'mm' but i try not to get so finicky with patch work sewing as i find it so relaxing, i don't think it would be if i was trying to perfect every point, i do just the best i can and i like it to look homemade and not shop bought.

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 17:59:48 PM »
When I started on the Darkside I was not very accurate. I don't have a straight eye, had never sewn before and thought that it wouldn't matter if, as a beginner, things weren't matched up perfectly.
I was soon proved wrong and brought up short  :embarrassed: well meaning criticism I'm sure but it set me back and for years I was never happy with what I had made   ><
I'm sure you won't suffer in a similar way but just relax and enjoy the process. A lot of small flaws can be disguised with quilting... ;)
Your work is lovely  :loveit:
Triumph of hope over experience :D