The Sewing Place

My mix of sewing threads

twopence

My mix of sewing threads
« on: June 08, 2017, 22:05:39 PM »
Not only do I have my own sewing threads gathered over the years but I've inherited thread from my grandmother and great aunt.  I've listed all machine threads that I have.

Gutermann
Sew All Thread
Sulky Rayon
Sulky Cotton plain
Sulky Cotton variegated
Silk thread

Molylycke
Polyester
Cotton

Madeira
Metallic
Bobbinfill

Polysew
Coates Drima
Dewhurst Star
Dewhurst/Tootal Sylko
Sylvia cotton
DMC cotton
Superior Threads Fantastico
Natesh Rayon Embroidery Thread
Anchor Embroidery Thread
Coates Embroidery Cotton
Mettler Polyester
Aurifill
Superior Swiss Glace
Unity Glove Thread
Nora Silk Twist
Imperial Sewing Silk
Listers Buttonhole Silk

Does anyone else have such a large mix?

Lyn-J

Re: My mix of sewing threads
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 22:53:42 PM »
Phew! That is quite a collection!

Sewingsue

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 23:00:30 PM »
I've never even heard of the last five.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

twopence

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 23:05:51 PM »
Sewing Sue, the last five are the really old ones that I inherited along with many old Sylko ones on wooden reels.

My great aunt made many of her own clothes and altered those that she bought.  I think that I still have the dress that she made to go into the Royal (?) enclosure at Ascot during her honeymoon in 1924.

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 23:38:52 PM »
I've got some of those wooden Sylko reels as well
but I can't claim a relative in the Royal enclosure - wonderful to still have her dress from that time.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Kad

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 06:46:18 AM »
I too have threads from my darling Nan, packets of needles too. The threads are  mostly Sylko on wooden reels with quite ornate labels.
My first sewing basket, aged about 8 in 1966/7, was a gift from Nan too. I still have and use daily the fibreglass tape measure, shears ( too big for my age 8 hands ) and ruler gauge thingy from that long lost box
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 06:47:32 AM »
I've never even heard of the last five

I have a roll of the Glace ...its a really thick shiny (hence Glace) thread, I think for buttons ?

Would love to see a pic of the dress.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

twopence

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 21:49:34 PM »
Imi, my Glace is very fine but I can't see yours as the picture is not showing.

When I can get into the roof and find the box I will post a picture of the dress along with the ticket to allow them into the enclosure.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 23:57:47 PM »
Having spent the last 18 years taking a very active interest in all sorts of threads which could be used for lacemaking I've looked at, measured and listed the best part of 2,000 different threads and I have a cupboard full.

:thread: :thread: :thread: :thread: :thread:

http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/threads/threads.html

Not all of them are suitable for machine sewing; a lot of hand embroidery threads come in skeins or small cards and most hand embroidery threads are S-twist anyway as are most linen threads (machines have to have Z-twist).  6-ply crochet threads wouldn't be too good on a machine, nor would silk floss or anything thicker than about cotton 30/3. 

Excluding all of those, and the metallic and rayon threads used for machine embroidery, in the drawer in which I keep sewing machine threads I have found:
Gütermann Sew All
Gütermann poly 50
Gütermann cotton 50
Gütermann cotton 30
Gütermann Jeans cotton
Sulky rayon 30
Sulky cotton 30
Presencia cotton
Superior Threads King Tut 40/3 cotton
Superior Threads Masterpiece 50/3 cotton
Superior Threads Perfect Quilter 17 wt cotton
Superior Threads Perfect Quilter 17 wt cotton
Korbond poly
Moon poly
Polysew
Sandelon poly
Coats Duet poly-cotton
Coats Extra strong poly-cotton
Coats Buttonhole poly-cotton
Coats overlocker poly
Coats Drima poly
Coats Gossamer poly
Coats Koban poly-cotton
Coats cotton 50
DMC Broder Machine 30 cotton
Robison Anton poly
Venne 40/3 cotton
Valdani 35
Amann Sylko
YLI Jeans poly
YLI Colours cotton
Madeira Tanne 50
Wonderfil Tuti cotton
Wonderfil Fruiti cotton
Wonderfil Efina cotton 60/2
Aurifil Mako 50/2 cotton
Aurifil Mako 20/2 cotton
YLI Invisifil
Monovic Invisible
Gunold Cotty 30 cotton
Mölnlycke cotton
Mölnlycke poly
Venne 60/2 silk
Kiku Fuji silk 50
Gütermann S303 silk
Kinkame silk 50
Coats Seta Real silk

a few which are many years old:
Walrus basting cotton 40
Dewhurst Sylko 50
Barbours Terko poly
Alba Threads Superior 50 cotton
JP Coats Chain
English Sewing Trylko poly
Merselka 40 cotton
Radio Patent Machine twist 40 cotton
Swan cotton 40
The Winner Machine silk
The Winner Legee twist silk
Texere Regency Twist
Amann Amanda silk
Atlas buttonhole twist silk
Tombolo Disegne 50/3 silk

plus unbranded cones of overlocker thread.  There are probably a few others in the lacemaking stash that would be OK for machine use.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 09:32:46 AM »
Got all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff.... I collect wooden cotton reels, I keep them in a large sweetie jar, they look really nice but I'll need a second jar soon.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 09:39:23 AM »
My threads are quite random.  I've inherited a lot of them, found some in old machines I've bought, purchased bags of part-used bargain threads, and bought any old thread when I've needed a colour match quickly.

I have to say though, I do love the old fashioned wooden bobbins. 

When I was a little girl, my first classroom had an open fire with a guard around it, across the top was threaded a garland of brightly coloured wooden bobbins.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 09:41:01 AM »
You won't be amazed to know that I only have 2 reels of thread at any one time  :D
They alternate between light grey, beige and dark grey, depending on which project I'm undertaking.
I use one to fill several bobbins, the second on the machine ( leaving the rest of the first as back up )
I use Aurifill cotton thread.
I use perle cotton for hand quilting.
I have some old thread on wooden reels ( Coates I think ) which were found at my parent's house when they died. I don't know where they came from as my Mum never sewed  -< I kept 6 of them for sentimental reasons  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kad

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 10:28:44 AM »
My Nan used to save the empty wooden thread reels and Grandad would make ' cotton reel tanks' which my sister and I would race across the dining room table.

You need 2 matchsticks, an elastic band,  about 1/4" off the end of a candle and the cotton reel - kept us amused ( and my 2 children too when my Dad made them ).
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 10:38:18 AM »
I can see how you would use the cotton reel, the matchsticks and the elastic, but where does the candle come in Kad?

Hmmmm  >:)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Elnnina

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 12:22:14 PM »
Many years ago I used to do tailoring classes, and one thread we used was called Strutts Super Glace Cotton thread made by the English Sewing Ltd, Thread Division.  Mine is a white thread and was used to strengthen buttonholes, and also for, non tailoring, inserted under the fabric to make raised pin tucks.  This is a tightly twisted thread, reasonably thick and very difficult to find these days.  I have one precious reel left 200mts. so I am very sparing with it as I doubt that after all this time I will not be able to replace this in a hurry.

Like Twopence I have quite an accumulation of various sewing threads, in fact I still have some Gutermann Silk thread - the type that came on little cardboard tubes - again very difficult to find now, and I also have a quantity of threads that were given to me by a friend who has since passed away.  The Sylko's etc I use for tacking, and my favourite sewing thread has to be Gutermann Sew All.  I never just grab a reel of thread to do running repairs hoping that it will not be seen, I go and buy a matching thread, and I always match my overlocking threads to the fabric colour.