The Sewing Place

Help! Bag stiffener stuff...

Bodgeitandscarper

Help! Bag stiffener stuff...
« on: November 28, 2021, 17:16:11 PM »
I am about to make a little travel case to store charger plugs, leads, garmin, etc.  It's going to be sort of like this shape 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

and I want something to stiffen the sides and probably the top and bottom so it doesn't collapse in a heap on itself and protects things inside.

The problem is, I have no idea what to search for - help!!

fajita

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Help! Bag stiffener stuff...
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 17:27:02 PM »
Will that be strong enough?  I want a fairly solid side.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 17:45:15 PM »
The really stiff interfacing-y stuff is what is used for pelmets, but I can't remember what it's called...
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Starryfish

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 17:48:29 PM »
Buckram?
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 18:10:48 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, I've currently got my eye on a plastic milk bottle. and I've ordered some Prym transparent Creative Sheet - dunno if that will be any good.

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 18:13:37 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper I made a cover for my food processor and I used some really stiff tulle that had leftover. It was very effective and the cover stands up on its own when I take it off the machine.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 18:15:45 PM »
I think I probably need something that's not crushable as it's for a case that will be taken away with me.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 18:33:14 PM »
I've got some reusable flexible chopping boards that are very thin which I use for bag bottoms.

Diane

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 18:39:12 PM »
How about some strips of perspex, ebay and amazon sell it @Bodgeitandscarper
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Esme866

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 19:17:06 PM »
I'm with Ruthie! I've used the flexible chopping boards, too. - made myself some pattern weights and a case to store them in.

The nice thing is, you can layer them to get additional thickness and rigidity. Machine washable - but I'd probably air dry - even though they can handle the heat of a dishwasher.

Sewingsue

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2021, 19:31:47 PM »
Pelmet Vilene?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Turquoise

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2021, 20:30:55 PM »
I’ve used this - https://fabricland.co.uk/product/craft-weight-sew-in-interfacing-vilene-code-240/

It would be horrible stuff to use for anything else as it is really stiff.

Lachica

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2021, 22:29:24 PM »
At the risk of sounding a right tight a**e. I take a plastic 6pt milk bottle, cut off the bottom, discard, cut up the side. (If you don't want huge pieces it's easier to just cut out the thinner sections).  If they're not flat enough, sandwich between 2 baking sheets, put in oven with a weight on top & heat. Not too hot, around 100° if I remember correctly. When cool you have a marvellous material which can be cut (but not with dressmaking scissors). I've used this for bottoms of bags, circumference of cylinders, bags for children and the bottom of a doll's carrycot.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ellabella

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2021, 23:33:57 PM »
I use Decovile when I need extra strength, mind you after seeing the things suggested on here I might have to experiment and drink more milk.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 23:40:51 PM by Ellabella »