The Sewing Place

A studio for teaching sewing? (and a sneak peek at our new house)

WendyW

Re: A studio for teaching sewing? (and a sneak peek at our new house)
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2021, 00:04:17 AM »
and bosky here also means drunk

I did NOT run across that definition when I was researching names!  :laughing: Not outside the realm of possibilities at our place, but still on the unlikely side. Feel free to use the handle if it fits!

"Magical" is exactly how I feel about our land! I'm pretty sure my granddaughter and I will find some fairy and gnome homes once we get settled in. Many times this past summer I just sat in my swing and just enjoyed my woods, with no ambition to work on things that needed doing.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 00:11:37 AM by WendyW »

coffeeandcake

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2021, 14:10:34 PM »
@WendyW I've just enjoyed reading your blog :)  I showed your new house to my DH who spent 3 years in Minnesota and he was asking how far north you are?  He used to fish on some of the many lakes up there.
Yes, the devastation caused caused by those tornadoes was truly horrendous.  We are very fortunate that we don't experience such horrific weather conditions.  We had winds of 100mph a couple of weeks ago which caused damage so wind speeds of over 200mph would cause so much more.

WendyW

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2021, 04:50:10 AM »
I showed your new house to my DH who spent 3 years in Minnesota and he was asking how far north you are?

@coffeeandcake We are about 30 miles NW of MPLS, and south of I-94 (major highway).

WendyW

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2022, 05:28:08 AM »
Time for an update! We are in and unpacking. My sewing room will be slow going- So. Much. Stuff. Time for me to find a local chapter of Craft Hoarders Anonymous.

The guest room is ready for guests! That's a start at least. Can sleep 4, so come on over!
guest room by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

I did some painting before moving in. Took a whole week as I had to wait for each color to dry before taping off the spaces for the next color.
paint job by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

The sewing room looked pretty good before all the cardboard boxes arrived.
notmessy room by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

WendyW

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2022, 05:36:09 AM »
The next 3 pics are the current condition. I've started building my storage shelves and unpacking boxes. I can only do so much per payday, so this will be slow going as I complete my storage wall and upgrade furniture. Hopefully when we sell the old house, I can buy all the remaining upgrades at one time.

Messy room 1 by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

messy room 2 by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

messy room 3 by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

Thanks to suggestions here and on a Facebook group, my wiring has 3 different circuits, so we can have multiple irons plugged in for classes. There's plenty of lighting- a total of 13 can lights, plus task lighting in my personal sewing area. The bathroom is divided to provide a dressing area for clients and students to try things on. I'll easily have space for 3-4 students when I get new tables in place.

Iminei

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2022, 08:02:12 AM »
WOW! WOW!! WOW!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2022, 08:06:15 AM »
That's a fabulous sewing space!  :loveit:

Sandra.
xxx

realale

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2022, 09:19:46 AM »
Your sewing space is incredible!! Lovely. And of course I'm not jealous.......  :P
So many beers, so little time.

Missie

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2022, 09:50:13 AM »
@WendyW How fun is this! And something to exercise my brain. Thank you!

-can the cutting tables be used with stools for gathering everyone around for a teaching moment and to offer an easy way to eat lunch? A conferencing area more or less?

Oh my goodness.  No, no, no.. do not have people eating on the same tables where fabric is being cut.  You run the risk of grease marks on patterns/fabrics.  Obviously not a major problem if it is just toile fabric, but not if people are working on their proper fabric.  Doing it this way is also a good way to teach good habits to your tutees!

Sounds like a fab project @WendyW

Lachica

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2022, 10:06:45 AM »
Wow! Fabulous space!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2022, 10:18:12 AM »
It looks absolutely fantastic. 😍

Please say you’ll be running holiday sewing retreats??? I want to come and stay. 🥰

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2022, 10:21:57 AM »
I'm just a tad envious of all your space...  0_0

BrendaP

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2022, 10:32:53 AM »
That's looking fantastic :loveit:

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2022, 12:05:30 PM »
Green with envy here.  Looks fabulous.  Then I have a reality check and think of the cleaning!   :laughing:

WendyW

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2022, 15:18:20 PM »
It looks absolutely fantastic. 😍

Please say you’ll be running holiday sewing retreats??? I want to come and stay. 🥰

I won't be running retreats officially. When you add lodging and food service, regulations skyrocket. But friends are always welcome to come!