The Sewing Place

Dresden Plate.....

Bill

Dresden Plate.....
« on: November 30, 2021, 13:29:44 PM »
That's what I'm doing today.
My current project is an apron for my dear old mum. I'm sticking a dresden plate on the front pocket and each blade has our names, the kids and the dogs names embroidered on. The embroidering I did last night. Stuck the fabric pieces in the washer to get rid of the stabilizer and then the dryer and then tried to ironsorry, PRESS them flat. The bits around the embroidery are still a wee bit wrinkly and I dunno how to sort that.
I'm now currently cutting out each of the 20 blades using a card template. Fun!  :headbang:
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Dresden Plate.....
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 13:31:58 PM »
Blades??  :S  Sorry, gonna need pics before I can understand what you're doing  :P

Bill

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 14:18:23 PM »
I saw the term used on a dresden plate tutorial. It describes each segment.
Obviously not in this order...
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Looking at it now though....it may possibly be a teeny weeny bit on the large side.  :S

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 15:36:01 PM »
Ah, I see  0_0

Um, I think you're right, they may be a teensy bit too big for a pocket...

coffeeandcake

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 17:17:23 PM »
@Bill when you use wash away stabiliser try just swishing the fabric around in a bowl of water to dissolve it.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 19:43:26 PM »
@Bill assuming that is cotton had you pre-shrunk the fabric before you embroidered it? That's looking like normal fabric shrinkage to me. Anything that will be washed in normal usage really,  IMO, needs to be washed before hand to get the shrinkage out of the way.

That's a problem with commercially embroidered cotton towels. They are lovely until you wash them.

Also blade is the correct term. These are similar to the individual parts of a hand fan which are indeed called blades.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bill

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 21:33:03 PM »
@Bill assuming that is cotton had you pre-shrunk the fabric before you embroidered it?

Erm..........oops.
No.

:S

Esme866

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 06:13:27 AM »
Bill, your avatar is so apropos in this situation.

We've all been there.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 11:08:24 AM »
@Bill , it's one of those conundrums. Piecing quilt blocks and doing machine embroidery are much more pleasant and quick on fabric that still retains the factory finish. That is a given. But you always have to keep the end use in mind as well as any surface alteration you have planned. If the object will commonly get washed you need to factor that in at the beginning. Like quilts. I generally prewash all the fabric, others don't. My reason is I'm using assorted fabrics, some 30 years old or more, so from all sorts of manufacturers and some prewashed along the way. If I had the luxury of going into a shop and getting all the fabrics from one line, let's say Moda Grunge, I would proceed to cut and sew and it would be lovely to work with. Any leftover fabric I would wash because it would be mixed in with other stuff. If I was embroidering a wall hanging or visor cap I'd leave things to nature.

PS,  this is something we all have done or will do in the future. I don't think the blades are all that bad. Considering the end use I'd still use them BUT make sure you wash the apron fabric before you attach the pockets. :thumb:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bill

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 18:26:02 PM »
Forgotten to prewash stuff countless times in the past so this doesn't surprise me  :laughing:
However, I've made it this far...

My piecing? stitches could have been better along with my lining up of blades but it's not a complete disaster. The disaster is yet to come either when I try the center applique (I really hate that stupid Frenchie sounding word!) or the apron itself.
I've trimmed the blades so it isn't as big as it was but still might be too big to fit on a pocket. Well see

Diane

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 18:29:50 PM »
@Bill You could divide it into two and make two pockets, it would still be effective
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lilian

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 18:30:51 PM »
It's looking good @Bill  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Esme866

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 19:10:32 PM »
@Bill It does seem it may be a bit large for a pocket, but also seems it would be a good size to fit on the chest area and color coordinating pockets could be added.

Just a thought, just in case.

Bill

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 21:03:02 PM »
@Bill You could divide it into two and make two pockets, it would still be effective

Ah but it wouldn't work because of the center applique thingybob.

@Esme866  :thumb:

Bill

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 21:23:37 PM »
Aaaaaaaaand here's where I'm at now. I'm done sewing and cursing today. Film time  :D
I'm hoping to order the apron fabric tomorrow (finances allowing, it's not looking good atm)

Dogma because she's grandma to the doggies too...not coz she's a religious nut :p
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 23:44:42 PM by Bill »