The Sewing Place

Source for Good Quality Cord...?

HenriettaMaria

Re: Source for Good Quality Cord...?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2021, 22:15:31 PM »
My suggestions would be make a cover like a cushion cover with an envelope flap half-way down the back.  If you can get a heat-resistant flat button to close it with, so much the better.

Else lucet a cord using thick linen or cottom thread.  Luceting is like French knitting but with two prongs rather than four.  Ziggy Rytka is an authority:

http://www.thelucet.co.uk/

and there are lots of how-to videos online.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2021, 22:25:11 PM »
I’ve got one of Ziggy's lucets.  Bought it from him at Ally Pally one year.  We’d been doing something like it at college.  Perhaps I ought to get it out sometime.   :thinking:

Sewingsue

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 07:24:43 AM »
I’ve got one of Ziggy's lucets.  Bought it from him at Ally Pally one year.  We’d been doing something like it at college.  Perhaps I ought to get it out sometime.   :thinking:
Me too also (except not bought at Ally Pally).

(Goes off to read the 'can you have too many hobbies' thread).
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2021, 09:29:17 AM »
It has to have a means of carrying it over the arm - Mum needs both hands to get out of her chair, and then doesn't want to have to bend over to pick up the hot water bottle.  Being able to loop it over her arm to carry it is important.  In addition, one side has double wadding, the other single, so that she can have it one way round when it's just been filled, and the other when it's cooled down a little.  I really don't want to change the design since it is so tailor made for her needs!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2021, 16:22:55 PM »
@Acorn Aha!  Now I see what you're aiming for.  I too have a mother who's only able to move about with a wheelie frame.  Her problem was moving her laundry from the bedroom to the kitchen.  She was instead stuffing towels, smalls, tops, etc, in the machine as they came off, willy-nilly, which made it hard to load-assemble.  I bought her a carrier bag from Tesco that could stand in a corner of her bedroom floor.  She puts the dirties in that and then sorts them while sitting on her bed.  The bag can be looped over the handle of the frame for transport to the washing machine.

Maybe something as simple as that would solve your problem?

Acorn

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2021, 17:00:34 PM »
She doesn't use a frame, or a walking stick.  She has a range of holding-on points around the house (one of them is my Dad, if he's in the right place  :laughing: ).  She's actually reasonably mobile once she's up and on level ground, it's the getting up and down that are more difficult.

I have some decent-looking cord now, so the tried and trusted design should be fine.  Thanks, though.   :thumb: 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.