The Sewing Place

Impossible wedding dress alteration

Rosieh

Impossible wedding dress alteration
« on: December 01, 2021, 10:57:15 AM »
I am not looking for anything other than a vent for a dear friend. I am already working on her bridesmaid's dress (subject of a different thread in this section) and she asked me if I could do alterations on her wedding dress. she bought a shop sample as she had a very small budget paying £1000 less than the original price. the dress is a Mori Lee Pia 2030 which I found out is available in 3 lengths. I believe the bridal shop has sold her the longest length and she is only 5ft 2. They made a big show of putting her picture on Facebook saying she had said 'yes to the dress' whereas I think she should have said no! as they gave her very unrealistic expectations on alterations. It is a lovely lace gown but there are flaws like missing buttons and threads where beads have fallen off - easily fixed - however it has a scalloped hem and train and is about 8 inches too long  :( I have been awake at nights trying to think how to alter it. the lace is pieced onto tulle so in theory they could be unpicked and moved up with the scallop, however to make the pattern of the lace look right it would be weeks and weeks of work and I don't have time as I work and sewing is my hobby. There is only 9 weeks until the wedding.  Alteration at the waist is not possible.  At the moment I have the inner layers tacked up but the lace is pooling on the floor and my worry is that she will trip over it. She actually feels happy with just having the inner layers the right length bless her but the perfectionist in me hates it! The easier bit of alteration is removing the 32B bra cups to replace with a sewn in 36F bra to support her.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Impossible wedding dress alteration
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 12:34:15 PM »
I’m wondering why she bought it if she’s a 36F and it’s designed for a 32B?  I would think you would have trouble putting in 36F cups in a space designed for 32B.  The outer garment fabric would all be in the wrong place.   Does it actually fit at all? 
Why haven’t they offered to have the dress altered for her?   
I agree about the length.  Could be dangerous.  Looking at the dress online it looks too long even on the model! 

If it was me I would try and get her to go back to the shop.  See if they can alter it or ask for her money back.  Personally I wouldn’t touch it! 

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 14:20:25 PM »
 :scream: Blimey! That's a big job isn't it?

I think you've just got to be honest with her and if you don't want to get involved....don't!
That's exactly it, isn't it....unpicking the motifs to raise them up and also the scalloped hem. There's no nice quick and easy way of doing it.

Talk to her but be honest about how much it's worrying you.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 17:13:06 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 17:34:23 PM »
It looks beyond me, but I would have thought that, even if you did cut out the motifs and raise them up, the spacing of the design would be completely messed up. With something like a wedding dress that is inevitably going to need some alteration for most brides, it seems like a design fault - or is that why it was done in 3 different lengths to start with - because it is impossible to shorten? I too think it should go back to the shop. Let them sell it again to a taller bride.

maliw

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 19:14:46 PM »
If the motifs had to be taken off and they are beaded the chances are that all the beads will come off so not only would the motifs have to be restitched but rebeaded as well. That is a LOT of work.
Not an easy dress to alter, my thought was "What would Mrs Mole do?"
https://fitforaqueen.wordpress.com
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 19:28:46 PM »
How would it look with vertical gathers to pull up the front. Probably not very good I imagine.

Isn't this an occasion for "No, I can't do this"?
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Esme866

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 20:28:09 PM »
Gorgeous dress! Yes, a TON of work.

But what am I missing here? The scalloped edge appears to be stitched over the top of the front motifs already. As pictured on the model, those motifs would still look fine if 8" were cut out. Obviously though, the beading would be problematic. Is there enough scalloped edging to not have to remove all of it from the back and simply allow for an extended train?

Turning the 32B into a 36F sounds like the biggest challenge. My best friend at uni measured for a 42DD but refused to wear anything larger than a 38D. Physically, I don't know how she did it, the pain would be excruciating to me, but she always looked great in her clothing, even though she was large. I'm guessing your friend may be used to dressing similarly as accommodating 36F's into today's RTW can't be easy.

If the front motifs were shortened, they would provide extra lace for the chest area work that needs to be done.

Any chance of recommending someone else do the job? Around here marked down wedding dresses have been unreturnable/no refund/no exchange for decades. Unless she can find an online buyer, your friend is stuck with this dress. (Online buyers aren't that hard to find.)

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 23:03:41 PM »
I think this is a case of saying 'sorry but my sewing skills are not up to doing that alteration'.

Bargains aren't always bargains. :(
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 06:54:20 AM »
@Ohsewsimple  ... it aint (oh so simple) ... See what I did there!!  :laughing:

This will be a Sorry, I cant do that ... even if you could, the time frame !!!  :scream:

Shes going to have to scurry round and find herself a new dress pronto.

@maliw  ... didnt like the rehash of that fabric at all ... but very interesting article about the designer Aristos in the 60's.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 07:01:04 AM by Iminei »

Rosieh

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 09:15:31 AM »
Thank you for all the comments. I have told her I am not prepared to do anything about the length. I don't have the time or the expertise.  I will attempt to get a good solution for the top. She seems happy enough to hold the lace off the floor as she walks.
@maliw I follow Mrs Mole and kind of wish she was not thousands of miles away as I am sure she would find a solution. ;)

Boppingbeth

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2021, 00:20:38 AM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

This kind of alteration is frequently done at the waist not the hem.  It is, however, a royal pain to do, particularly since it also involves moving the zipper in the back. 

Rosieh

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 09:52:05 AM »
It has continued to haunt me. I had worked out a scheme to unpick 4 pattern repeats, move the motifs up and then cut the underneath tulle to the new length matching the 2 under layers - however - I had not accounted for the fact that the motifs are part sewn and part GLUED on! There is no way to remove these without ruining the tulle they are attached to. I officially have to give up.  :cry:

Gorgeous dress! Yes, a TON of work.

But what am I missing here? The scalloped edge appears to be stitched over the top of the front motifs already. As pictured on the model, those motifs would still look fine if 8" were cut out. Obviously though, the beading would be problematic. Is there enough scalloped edging to not have to remove all of it from the back and simply allow for an extended train?

Turning the 32B into a 36F sounds like the biggest challenge. My best friend at uni measured for a 42DD but refused to wear anything larger than a 38D. Physically, I don't know how she did it, the pain would be excruciating to me, but she always looked great in her clothing, even though she was large. I'm guessing your friend may be used to dressing similarly as accommodating 36F's into today's RTW can't be easy.

If the front motifs were shortened, they would provide extra lace for the chest area work that needs to be done.

Any chance of recommending someone else do the job? Around here marked down wedding dresses have been unreturnable/no refund/no exchange for decades. Unless she can find an online buyer, your friend is stuck with this dress. (Online buyers aren't that hard to find.)
[/quote]

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 17:20:18 PM »
God @Rosieh  I thought you'd told this particular 'client' to **** off months ago

ITS NOT DOABLE!

Tell her youre a human being not GOD!

Rosieh

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2022, 11:58:06 AM »
Well, after many months of stressing the wedding is tomorrow. I managed to create a solution, it is rubbish, but it will mean the bride will not trip up on her walk down the aisle. I inserted a hoop in the inner lining which stops the fabric bunching around her feet. for the lace overlay I attached a length of Swarovski chain which attaches to a diamonte hook at the waistline, so she can hook up the lace whilst walking down the aisle. I attached lace to the base of the lining to make it look prettier. I also created a bustle at the back.
To make the top fit, I literally sewed in a t shirt bra creating a new back strap to cover the fastening and attaching the over shoulder straps inside the halter neck. That part looks good.  I cut off and replaced the bra back strap with clear elastic. This was my first ever request to alter a bridal gown. however, I now - officially - do not do bridal gown alterations any more!! never, ever, again!!