The Sewing Place

Pattern wrong

Diane

Pattern wrong
« on: December 01, 2021, 15:32:27 PM »
I started knitting a cardigan at the weekend and decided to start with the sleeves, well i've followed the pattern and the sleeve length is incorrect, now if i was an orangutan then they would be ok but they are way too long. Got a friend of mine to check the pattern and she agrees that it's way out. I have another 26 rows left to do before i cast off and it already measures 25"  :faints: I'm using 4 ply as per pattern and checked the tension before i started as it's a different make of wool and there was no issues, i'm fed up now. I will unpick it and it can go and sit in the corner until it decides to cooperate  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 15:35:29 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ploshkin

Re: Pattern wrong
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 16:33:28 PM »
Being a bit short in the arm I never ever knit sleeves without working out the number of rows I need to knit to fit.  I always look first at the diagram with the measurements compared with my arm length. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 20:43:38 PM »
Is it a pattern that tells, you to knit so many rows? Or is the number of rows constrained by a pattern? Not a fan, for obvious reasons. If you're knitting up from the cuff, would it be possible to accelerate your increases to the armhole?

Also, how does your yarn behave after a wash? I remember knitting my eldest a lovely red jumper that went splat, after a wash, so it was almost twice as wide as it was long.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Diane

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 19:29:49 PM »
I ditched the cardigan pattern and have started the sleeveless version, got halfway up the back and i seemed to have lost a stitch  :laughing: i haven't dropped it and have looked closely and couldn't see the error anywhere, i've spent this afternoon taking it back row by row and after about ten rows the lost stitch has been found, it was right on the edge and where the edges had curled in a bit i couldn't see it  :rolleyes: All sorted now and i've knitted back the ten rows.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40