The Sewing Place

Feeding elastic through channels.

jen

Feeding elastic through channels.
« on: December 03, 2021, 14:31:27 PM »
Going mad here. I have the bottom band of a bomber jacket with three channels to feed quarter inch elastic through. The fabric ain’t slippy! I got it to pull through by stitching the elastic end to a ribbon of the same width and threading that through with a bodkin, but  the last few inches of the second row I have just done sticks in the fabric - it’s resisting attempts to push the gathers along to take up the slack, so I’ve got one half gathered up too much and the other end ( not bodkin end) slack with four inches of elastic hanging out that won’t pull into the channel. Does anyone have a foolproof method for this? My hands are hurting with the effort.

Tamnymore

Re: Feeding elastic through channels.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 16:51:59 PM »
Have you tried using a safety pin @jen. That's what I usually use or a kilt pin for wider elastic.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Helen M

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 17:35:28 PM »
Have you tried using a safety pin @jen. That's what I usually use or a kilt pin for wider elastic.

That is what I use and it usually works.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 21:44:24 PM »
Safety pins used here too.  I have those plastic things designed for pulling elastic through.  Bloody useless as they’re really too big.

jen

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 22:01:15 PM »
It’s not the pulling through. I sorted that with the ribbon.The problem is that the gathers just won’t slide along once the elastic is in, so one side is relatively flat and the other bunched up. I have pulled it all out now, and created a vertical split halfway, with the idea of threading each half separately, in the hope that it will look even when done. I’m going to try again tomorrow if I can bear it. I do use a nappy pin when the elastic and channel is wide enough.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 23:13:13 PM »
I think your channels might be too narrow. Ribbon conveniently folds onto it's self to pull through a small channel but for the elastic you need to allow for the width and thickness of the elastic as well as how thick and cumbersome your fabric is. Not to mention if there are any seam allowances in the channels, both running the length or perpendicular. I'm guessing a bomber jacket isn't thin slippery fabric.

Are you channels at least ½ inch wide? I hate to ask but are they sewn straight,  no narrow spots? They can snag things up.. Also, on something like this you can't feed one through and gather it to spec unless the channels are very roomy. It renders the others impassable. I would be threading all three through at the same time to help keep them even.

Oh. I always use a bodkin with 100% excellent results. My favorite has a safety pin type latch at one end and is heavy wire, rounded at the other end. It's about 12 inches long, bought in the 70's. I have other more standard ones for general use and resort to a giant safety pin sometimes with extra wide elastic
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 23:15:02 PM by Renegade Sewist »
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 23:32:40 PM »
It’s not the pulling through. I sorted that with the ribbon.The problem is that the gathers just won’t slide along once the elastic is in, so one side is relatively flat and the other bunched up. I have pulled it all out now, and created a vertical split halfway, with the idea of threading each half separately, in the hope that it will look even when done. I’m going to try again tomorrow if I can bear it. I do use a nappy pin when the elastic and channel is wide enough.
Stretch, stretch and keep on stretching. Maybe swear a bit, just to convince it.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Esme866

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 07:32:31 AM »
Sounds like the channels are a bit snug, but that happens sometimes.

Am I understanding the elastic is out on both ends but it just needs to have the fabric distributed evenly over the elastic?

I usually just use the fingernails on my right hand to work the fabric, but if that's too difficult perhaps a pair of needle-nosed pliers would help get a better grip. I'd be shocked if you guys call those pliers by the same name. I'll try to find a pic.

jen

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 07:55:58 AM »
Yup, when I try to pull the fabric to work it along it just grips the elastic. The channels should be wide enough. I’m going to have one more try working from the middle, then if that fails I’ll have to unpick the channels and put one piece of wider elastic in.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 09:53:03 AM »
I was going to say it sounds like your channels are just a teensy bit too narrow too.

@Esme866 I do believe we have the very same needle-nosed pliers here too - always assuming they are the same thing of course  :)

jen

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 08:50:03 AM »
Thanks for the help/encouragement/commiserations ladies. I unpicked the lot, bought wide elastic from the rip off supermarket down the road ( 5 euros for a packaged metre !) and put that in instead. I don’t like the look as much as the  row of narrower channels, but nervous breakdown was looming! The fabric was deceptive. It’s actually silk, which sounds slippery, yes? Parts of the weave are satin, parts not, and those parts had a tendency to have a slub or two, and stick to each other and the elastic, so even with the wide stuff and an even wider channel the gathering didn’t readily even up.  :rolleyes:
It’s surprising how many hiccups there can be in the simplest of processes we put ourselves through when we sew isn’t it? Threading elastic is hardly up there with bound buttonholes, turning rever points and pocket welts, but I reckon I could write a book on the ways it can have you tearing your hair out. Or is it just me?

Esme866

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 10:03:59 AM »
The only elastic I've used in recent history is when I use 1" elastic in the back of my trousers for a Daks waistband. I'm so sick of wearing stretchy clothing in RTW, I avoid it in my sewing.

On another note, as mentioned, I bought some iron on lightweight interfacing a few years back that has threads spaced a perfect 1/8" apart in one direction to stabilize it. Those lines make bound buttonholes a breeze. I actually think they're fun to make now and I've detested making the things most of my life!

Greybird

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 10:12:04 AM »
I hate, hate, hate elastic. I have been known not to make something I otherwise would have liked, simply because it involved using elastic. Not always avoidable, but wherever possible.

jen

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2021, 20:19:42 PM »
Me too, not a fan of elastic waistbands. I’ve tried a few times, but still find there’s a high price to pay for the comfort of not having to pass on seconds of cake.  :laughing:

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2021, 17:45:51 PM »
@Renegade Sewist  a 12" bodkin? I needs one of those  !!!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !