The Sewing Place

1970s disco wear suggestions please

Renegade Sewist

Re: 1970s disco wear suggestions please
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2021, 03:51:19 AM »
I thought you meant pantaloons @fajita they were in fashion too.  :sorry:

@Lilian I was having a tough time picturing her DH in pantaloons.

Loons are pretty much what we called elephant pants. They were most popular with a nice thick heeled platform shoe. Also very popular in denim.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2021, 05:45:06 AM »
Just open my wardrobe @Lachica  .... :rolleyes:

Satin was all the rage in the late 70's and sequined boob tubes  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 05:46:50 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Esme866

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2021, 07:22:14 AM »
Ok, sorry guys, but I think I've determined I'm the baby in this bunch. Hot Pants were in 7th grade. Can't remember any disco music.

I started hitting the disco in Winter of '77. No one - and I mean NO ONE  - would have been caught dead in a pair of bell bottoms. And 76/77 was the beginning of the great disco music here. The pants were an obligatory "stove pipe" - straight up and down, no flare, no taper. I think I gave one of my boob tubes to my flat chested friend and I think the other is still in a dresser drawer. Why? No find memories - pure torture. Only wore each one once, 34C's squished into a shiny spandex, "one size fits all" tube proved an engineering disaster. Push up bras with a low cut peasant blouse from shiny fabric and cotton/polyester crepe back satin for those stove pipe pants with a 37" or 38"inseam to accommodate the platform 4"heels. Large hoop earrings.

Favorite dress: shiny Qiana nylon in medium blue, almost a circle skirt - no gathers at the waist, to accentuate its tiny proportion, sleeveless yet shoulder seams extended and a plunging neckline that stopped 2" above my navel. Strategically placed brooch which kept the girls covered while making the cleavage worthy of a spotlight.

I'd settle for just a hint of a reminder of that tiny waist......sigh...........alas, nowhere to be found....... :boohoo:

Lachica

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2021, 08:56:03 AM »
I do have an off-the-shoulder black top with a deep sequinned band, sadly I suspect that, too, has shrunk in the loft. Thanks for all the suggestions, if you're really un lucky I'll post a photo :S
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2021, 09:49:08 AM »
Hot pants!!!! Very 1970s.

Definitely!  I had some immediately after DD1 was born, 1972 - worn with an ankle length coat with buttons only to just below the waist.  I also remember shiny trousers/leggings from about that time.

By the time the twins were born in 1977 it was the tiered skirts with an inch of petticoat showing below the hem worn with a gypsy style blouse with shirring at the neck and puff sleeves.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Silver Rose

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2021, 10:50:14 AM »
My favourite  70's dress was  very short in emerald green  velour with very full sleeves and deep cuffs with about 6 little covered buttons worn with knee high shiny boots  i might have looked a tad tarty  ;) I was in my  early thirties!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 10:53:15 AM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2021, 11:21:42 AM »
I wore black hot pants with a purple midi coat and long white scarf.

Lachica

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2021, 14:19:09 PM »
Black hotpants, Black tights, platform boots, a velvet floor length cloak. At one point I glued aluminium foil to the platforms & heels bit the glue wasn't waterproof
Mary

toileandtrouble

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2021, 15:47:29 PM »
Yellow flared trousers, navy/white spotted blouse with full sleeves and a handknitted red tank top. 
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

coffeeandcake

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2021, 17:19:12 PM »
Love this thread :) very late 70s for me and
I wore 3 piece suits with blouse/shirt with long pointy collars - all handmade :D
I wore black patent strappy sandals from Ravel with them and used to suffer very badly from foot cramps after I took them off.
I also  had some very tight leg blue cords with which I wore shoes with a gold coloured bar where the back of the shoe met the heel.

Lowena

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2021, 18:31:29 PM »
I was in my 20s a working mother of 2,with a husband who worked away and a dog and cat. Smock tops, coloured jeans and platform shoes springs to mind,..... And... A severe lack of sleep!!
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lachica

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2021, 18:44:19 PM »
Weren't we a stylish bunch? I started Uni in 1974 and had no money for clothes then. No access to Mum's sewing machine either. I remember making a peasant top with Laura Ashley Toile de Jouy fabric though.
Mary

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2021, 18:52:52 PM »
I suddenly remember knitting myself a Starsky and Hutch style cardigan! Also, being terribly pleased with making an a line skirt when the midi look came in at the end half of the decade?
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2021, 21:45:30 PM »
Ooh, I remember making my first midi skirt - it was a light purple with big buttons down the front.  Before that I made mini skirts with matching (denim style, but not denim) jackets - the skirts had to just cover my pants, but that was it - no longer! 

realale

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2021, 22:00:18 PM »
I remember wearing smock tops and I wasn't even pregnant!! Flared Jeans & thick soled boots completed the look.
Then there was always the tank top over shirt combo. With a knotted scarf round the neck.
So many beers, so little time.