The Sewing Place

1970s disco wear suggestions please

Lachica

1970s disco wear suggestions please
« on: December 03, 2021, 18:20:04 PM »
We have a murder mystery pack for Boxing Day. I can make a pair of Loons for DH, and possibly a skinny t shirt although he's no longer skinny. I've found my 1974 platform boots but I can't get my feet in them so that's Plan A out the window. I still have a long Indian print circle skirt though the waist seems to have shrunk  ><. The brief is 'Disco' so I'm thinking Abba style,  I'll be more Julie Walters than Meryl Streep. What fabric? Shiny/ sequinned? I didn't wear minis then & I'm certainly not going to now, it'll have to be trousers & top. Suggestions please.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bumblebuncher

Re: 1970s disco wear suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 19:20:59 PM »
You could get an old pair of trousers and do a godet in the bottom of the leg to make the flares.  I recall doing that with tartan for the Bay City Rollers moment of my life, but was certainly a 'thing' without it costing a fortune to do.
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 20:25:40 PM »
Good idea @Bumblebuncher.
Mary

fajita

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 21:26:23 PM »
Sequinned boob tube and shiny satiny trousers. 

Admitting nothing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 21:30:39 PM »
Bishop sleeves were popular too and appear to have made a recent comeback! But all I can think of is tank tops and pointy collar shirts with flared trousers  :laughing:  Oooooh and short sleeve jumpers over bishop sleeves and and and cheesecloth!
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 21:32:48 PM »
Definitely bell bottoms.  Shiny, satin, sequins for the top.  Halter neck?   Spent my youth in discos.  :)

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 21:49:03 PM »
Ooh @fajita  :scream: not sure I could inflict that vision on friends!

I've just made a crushed velvet top which fits the bill (well it will with the addition of huge flared sleeves) so I'm going to make loons to match. DH has decided he'd like a velvet jacket, could I run one up?
Mary

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 22:26:21 PM »
Hot pants!!!! Very 1970s.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 22:59:16 PM »
Ok. This seems to be one of those transatlantic things.  Loons? Not a term we used and believe me I was a fashionista extradionaire in the 70's. There must be photos of those hot pants somewhere.   :devil:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lilian

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 23:10:44 PM »
Ok. This seems to be one of those transatlantic things.  Loons? Not a term we used and believe me I was a fashionista extradionaire in the 70's. There must be photos of those hot pants somewhere.   :devil:

Pantaloons = long puffy knickers, elasticated at the hem basically, that showed below outer wear or worn as outer wear  :laughing:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 23:12:31 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

Lilian

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 23:14:48 PM »
I was working back then and all us girls decided to turn up wearing black velvet hot pants. We all got the day off leaving the men to man the office alone  :laughing:

Ouryve

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 23:23:16 PM »
How about a velour jumpsuit? There are loads of patterns out that could be tweaked to fit the bill. You could use stretch velour for the Sirocco jumpsuit and maybe add some puffy long sleeves.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

fajita

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 23:26:02 PM »
Loons - trousers - fairly close fitting in the thigh, but flared below the knee.

Lilian

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 23:27:32 PM »
Loons - trousers - fairly close fitting in the thigh, but flared below the knee.

I thought you meant pantaloons @fajita they were in fashion too.  :sorry:

Lachica

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 23:31:30 PM »
https://www.google.com/search?q=1970s+loons&oq=1970s+loons&aqs=chrome..69i57.8441j1j7&client=ms-android-google&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=XKG3KM00TMlrdM&scso=_-aeqYdLIG5yUxc8PmNSb-AQ3:0
They flared over your boots & touched the pavement. Rainwater wicked up readily.

@Tamnymore @Lilian yes, hotpants. I made mine from babycord. Not going there 50 years on.
Mary