The Sewing Place

Recommendations for a sewing machine for quilting.

Lemon Syllabub

Recommendations for a sewing machine for quilting.
« on: December 06, 2021, 07:58:42 AM »
I'm thinking of buying a new sewing machine. My old one is OK for dressmaking but now I've decided I really like sewing I'd like to buy a shiny new one and it would be nice to have one with a large enough harp suitable for quilting.

Not sure about budget... probably over a thousand but less than two... ballparkish figure.

What would you suggest I should start looking at/avoid like the plague within that price range?

BlueCat

Re: Recommendations for a sewing machine for quilting.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 08:53:49 AM »
I have the Janome 8900 QCP which has a large harp for quilting, and the extension table is useful to have.  The bonus with this machine is the huge number of embroidery stitches for other types of sewing projects.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 09:16:39 AM »
I have a Brother Innovis 1800q. It has a large harp and an extension table. I've had it for about 6yrs and it costs about £1400 I think. I love it
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 09:17:31 AM »
Pfaffs have good harp space for quilting, mine is 10"  An essential is needle up / down so that you can always stop with the needle down ( probably standard in your price bracket) and a knee lift is very useful when piecing also a quarter inch foot.
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 09:32:14 AM »
I have recently bought a Janome 6700, it is a bit different to the other types of machine but if you are both a quilter and a dressmaker it is worth looking at, it has faster speeds than most machines but it also has very good speed control and fabric penetration.  Hasn’t got millions of stitches but what it has are excellent quality, it is also a metal beaded machine.

As a general rule It is helpful to know what machine you have and how you feel about it too.  I have used lots of different makes and I know there isn’t the one perfect machine for everyone out there. I will also second Ploshkin with Pfaff being good for quilting but I will say some of the newer ones haven’t been quite so reliable as the old ones.

https://www.franknutt.co.uk/sewing-machines/janome-sewing-machines/janome-mc6700p  This is my machine

Have fun looking

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 12:14:46 PM »
Brother does some excellent quilting machines. In your budget almost every brand does a lovely quilting machine.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

KayK

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 13:51:00 PM »
Agree with @Celia - I have used many machines, and am quite happy with the Janome 6700p.  As mentioned, it is metal bodied, good stitches, the knee lift is useful, and it does a good thread cut and tie off!  The quality isn't as good as the Bernina's I have had in the past, but it was around £1000 cheaper than their equivalent!

It has been used for quilting, patchwork, dressmaking and textile art.  They can be a little tricky at times (bobbin case can jump, threads can jump, but there is usually a good reason for this)  i do a lot of free motion stitching, and like that I can unplug the foot pedal, set the speed and just move my hands, and use the stop/start button. 

It is definitely worth a consideration, the extension table is huge.  I was lucky to have a test drive of mine, but I will say it benefits from a regular drop of oil (under the bobbin case) and sounds very different when this is done!

Good luck with your search!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 13:57:40 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions.
At my age  :o this will be the last sewing machine I'll ever buy so I want it to be THE ONE!!!  :dance:

Celia

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 14:14:56 PM »
@Lemon Syllabub  I have been looking for that “ one” for a very long time.  :laughing:

WendyW

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 15:38:33 PM »
A few years ago I got a Pfaff Quilt Expressions 2.0. It's a lovely machine, but I don't love it as much as its predecessor, a 30yo Pfaff 1467. It has an 11in harp (LOVE), needle down, auto foot-lift in needle-down for pivoting (LOVE), and about a zillion stitches. Despite the lower level of love I have for this machine, I'll still not sew before I pull out a back-up machine. This machine is no longer in their line-up. I added this to give you points to consider on whatever machines you do look at

My dislikes:

The empty-bobbin warning. My old machine simply turned on a light. This one brings my sewing to an abrupt halt.  If I turn off the bobbin warning it will immediately repeat it. I can start sewing again without turning it off, but whether or not it repeats this rudeness is hit-or-miss. Might do it multiple times, or not at all. There are still yards of thread left when this rudeness begins, so it can get very annoying.

The delicate nature of this machine. I've already had to have repairs done because it got too linty, overheated, and froze up. My fault because my previous project had been very fuzzy and I had not attempted to clean it out. But, there IS no way to really clean it out. All the under-space is inaccessible. It MUST have it's yearly spa treatment. My previous machine went in for care about 3 times in 30 yrs.

Hand space around the needle area. There is none. There is so much automatic crap built into it that there is no room left to get your hands under there to do something as simple as change the needle. Must have the screwdriver to reach the needle screw, and must use the supplied seam-jumper with a hole for the needle to get the needle into position.

So Chic

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 16:20:10 PM »
I've done a bit of basic quilting on my Bernina and it seemed to cope quite well.  The tutor at a class I took on P & Q demonstrated beautiful quilts all made on a Bernina.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

coffeeandcake

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 16:45:56 PM »
What @Ploshkin says, plus Pfaffs have built in IDT so no faffing with a walking foot :)

Flobear

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 17:10:55 PM »
Looks as if I might have to be in the market for a new machine too.

My Pfaff Ambition is about 10 years old but is getting temperamental and the chap who last fixed it has just closed his business. My nearly-40-year-old Bernina is still going strong but has certain limitations, no IDT/walking foot being quite a big one for someone who has taken up P&Q.

It sounds as if sewing machines, like cars, have become over-burdened with warnings and nannyish elements that treat you as if you know nothing!!  I take the mick out of Mr Bear's car because it squeaks hysterically if it gets too close (ie about 18" to 2') to anything, even a few leaves or tufts of tall grass. And the emergency braking thing is a nightmare. I certainly don't want a sewing-machine that tells me what to do or refuses to work because...
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Deafoldbat

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2021, 19:11:56 PM »
I had an early version of the Pfaff Quilt Expression - in fact it was replaced twice because of problems with it, quite apart from the annoying habits @WendyW mentions. I eventually gave up on it and looked at the Janome Horizon which was all the rage at the time - big harp space etc, but in the end I got a Bernina 550QE, which does everything I want. It does have a clunky walking foot, but I find I get on better using the free motion foot even for straight line and in-the-ditch. It has a smaller harp space but I have managed large quilts through it without much trouble - it's more important to have space behind and to the side of the machine to support the weight of a quilt so it doesn't drag.

Count your pennies/save some more pennies @Lemon Syllabub, go to a real shop and try as many different machines as you can and find the one that feels right and does what you need it to do. 3 million fancy stitches are no good if it doesn't do the essentials.

Bill

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2021, 23:32:15 PM »
Another vote for the brother innov-is NV1800Q here. It's an absolutely fantastic machine. It runs as quiet as a mouse and will sew through pretty much anything. The included extension table is a nice touch as is the knee lifter which at first I thought was a gimmick. Ouldnt live without it now. The needle threader is in a class of its own.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things