The Sewing Place

Recommendations for a sewing machine for quilting.

Iminei

Re: Recommendations for a sewing machine for quilting.
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2021, 07:00:47 AM »
Has no one mentioned the Janome Ateliers?

Not the 9 (which is the combined sewing/embroidery model) but Ive had the 5 and now the 7 and have been absolutely thrilled with both from day 1.

@Lemon Syllabub  .... If you go for an Atelier and they dont offer the quilting kit as an inducement to buy (they stopped the inducements when Sewing machines became hard to come by) then I have a brand new mint in original packaging one available to buy ... Suitable for all category D machines.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Flobear

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2021, 08:32:27 AM »
Am I right in thinking that Janomes have a separate screw-on walking foot? I really like the IDT system and would have to be heavily persuaded to change from Pfaff now.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Celia

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2021, 09:06:18 AM »
As far as I know the IDT with the way it clicks in is still only on Pfaffs. Some other  brands have brought out there own version but they are not the same.   They are beautiful machines but some of them are a bit too temperamental for my liking.

In my personal experience it does seem to be further up the range of machines the more they can do BUT they also need more looking after and can be a bit more temperamental. I think this hold true in most brands. I have even found this with  Bernina machines.   The only except can think of is Babylock Overlockers.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2021, 11:13:41 AM »
Having recently bought the Pfaff Ambition 630 I can safely say that I have none of the issues that may be seen in older models.  Although I don't do the darkside bits, I did feel the need for a larger harpspace (large amounts of skirt to push through) and the extension table is huge too!  I am in love with the IDT, my old machine is a Bernina and not only was the walking foot clunky, it kept falling apart if anything too big was put under it :rant:
It has also gone through many layers of fleece lately with little effort!
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

WendyW

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2021, 14:02:45 PM »

In my personal experience it does seem to be further up the range of machines the more they can do

Unfortunately, they also put the most-desired bells and whistles only on the higher end ones. Needle-down is such a very useful feature, but good luck finding it on a machine that fits in a reasonable budget! I wish we could order a machine a la carte'. "Please give me features  A, G, and X, and leave off all that other stuff!"

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2021, 17:56:18 PM »
Am I right in thinking that Janomes have a separate screw-on walking foot? I really like the IDT system and would have to be heavily persuaded to change from Pfaff now.

That is correct ... but it is no problem. The Splurgess (A 7) has a new, less bulky WF that 'clips' into the back of the machine (ie no lever resting on the needle bar going up and down if you see what I mean) but it has to be used with a setting on the machine which greys out a lot of the stitches so I often use the 'normal' WF so I can use the more decorative stitches
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again