The Sewing Place

tape for baby bib ties

Esme866

Re: tape for baby bib ties
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 22:27:18 PM »
On one hand, twill tape would do the job, but the real question is, "What is considered safe?" for such a thing in this day and age.

Is the tape simply long enough to have velcro applied to both ends so that overlapping the tape ends will hold the bib in place? Actually using bias tape or twill tape to tie the bibs on would seem a potential choking hazard.

Now days, all those cute nursery sets so popular in the 80's are completely taboo as they are seen as death traps.

I'd research acceptable closures for bibs, just to be safe.

annieeg

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 22:43:19 PM »
On one hand, twill tape would do the job, but the real question is, "What is considered safe?" for such a thing in this day and age.

Is the tape simply long enough to have velcro applied to both ends so that overlapping the tape ends will hold the bib in place? Actually using bias tape or twill tape to tie the bibs on would seem a potential choking hazard.

Now days, all those cute nursery sets so popular in the 80's are completely taboo as they are seen as death traps.

I'd research acceptable closures for bibs, just to be safe.
@Esme866 you've hit the nail on the head!  I did have concerns which is why I posted the question.  I will do more research    thank you  :thumb:

Diane

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 17:00:37 PM »
@annieeg Could you extend the shape of the bib around the neck like these
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

annieeg

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 18:14:19 PM »
@annieeg Could you extend the shape of the bib around the neck like these
Thanks @Diane  that looks like a better option.   What pattern is that?

Diane

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 18:26:46 PM »
Thanks @Diane  that looks like a better option.   What pattern is that?

It's just a screen dump from Amazon, here is one that is secured with a popper, these are free patterns

https://nanacompany.typepad.com/nanacompany/2014/03/the-classic-pretty-little-baby-bib-pattern-diy.html

https://nested.typepad.com/blog/2007/07/something-to-ma.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 18:54:22 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

annieeg

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 14:57:26 PM »
Attached is a pic of the baby bib - I'm wondering if I attach velcro to short ends extending around the back of the neck that might suffice?
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Sheilago

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 11:59:38 AM »
That’s beautiful. I think attaching Velcro to the short ends would work and would certainly be safer. I make bibs too, but they’re a different shape and have snap fastenings.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2021, 14:18:13 PM »
That looks like a very practical bib @annieeg. I think velcro would be great too.

Esme866

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2021, 08:32:04 AM »
@annieeg  That bib is adorable!

How many years have I been on here and just now, tonight, the popper/snap thing comes up twice.

I've decided to call the words that don't "cross the pond" in the same way "pond-words". Could be shortened to PW's.  "Popper" is a PW.

As skinny as the neck tape is, would a snap/popper be better than velcro in this case, as velcro can easily entangle hair when its exposed?

annieeg

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2021, 14:23:58 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I think I'm going to experiment on spare trimming with a snap/popper and see what my neice thinks (its for her baby ...).
Ax