The Sewing Place

Lining for glasses case

Esme866

Re: Lining for glasses case
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2021, 20:53:26 PM »
I'd go with silk. Sounds a bit decadent to have a leather glass case with a silk lining.

Any thrift store here has infinite colors and patterns of silk for $2. Men's neckties. I use them regularly for hongkong finishes.

Even cheaper when someone will let you shop their closet! :rolleyes:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2021, 04:04:41 AM »
Esme beat me to it. As OH no longer wears ties polyester with stains become cat toys, good polyester get donated and some of the silk ones have found their way into my bins. I bought  most of them to begin with.

I imagine everyone here will be testing any glass cleaning cloths in their possession after reading this thread.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Esme866

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2021, 06:34:27 AM »
I imagine everyone here will be testing any glass cleaning cloths in their possession after reading this thread.

I know! I am so wanting to try this. Soft fabric that needles can hardly penetrate. There's a magic trick in there somewhere.

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2021, 09:10:14 AM »
I know! I am so wanting to try this. Soft fabric that needles can hardly penetrate. There's a magic trick in there somewhere.

It's witchcraft, I tell you!  Witchcraft!!   :o   :faints:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

So Chic

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2021, 15:33:00 PM »
I made a glasses case from a kit, the lining looks like a twill weave cotton and it has lasted well since 2006.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2021, 16:09:22 PM »
I admit I had to test it... shocked I tell you, SHOCKED
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2021, 16:09:40 PM »
My sticky-backed velvety/flocky stuff arrived and it seems just perfect, but I now have a hankering for a silk lined leather something - not sure what, but I have a lovely piece of sort of two-tone blue/pink slubby stuff...

realale

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2021, 16:25:09 PM »
So glad I started you all testing your glass cleaner cloths.  :laughing:
It could also explain why most have pinked edges  :P
So many beers, so little time.

StitchinTime

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2021, 17:39:58 PM »
I now have a hankering for a silk lined leather something - not sure what, but I have a lovely piece of sort of two-tone blue/pink slubby stuff...

@Bodgeitandscarper The offer is still there - just let me know colours/sizes and I’m sure I can find something.

Kad

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2021, 17:48:08 PM »
Just a thought:

Might it be wise to avoid lining the glasses with anything that builds up a static charge? These days many lenses in spectacles are plastic and a build up of static could mean that your glasses attract a lot of dust.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.