The Sewing Place

Lining for glasses case

Bodgeitandscarper

Lining for glasses case
« on: December 09, 2021, 11:42:59 AM »
I have thought of one use for my bits of shiny leather - a case for my sunglasses.  But what fabric would you line it with?  I want something that won't scratch them obviously, but it needs to be very thin and preferably non-fraying.

Any ideas please?

Diane

Re: Lining for glasses case
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 11:56:30 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper How about some soft felt
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 12:06:47 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper How about using a couple of the glasses cleaner bits of cloth thingy (I am sure they have a name but can't think of it)?
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

realale

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 12:16:17 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper How about using a couple of the glasses cleaner bits of cloth thingy (I am sure they have a name but can't think of it)?
BB

My son worked briefly at a lense manufacturing place and he brought home a bag of the cloths they were disposing of. I too thought they would be ideal to line a glasses case except I couldn't get a needle to go through one!! Those things were impenetrable!! I was too mean to try others when these were going for free so can't comment on other makes!!
I used brushed cotton in the end. Much easier to sew!!  :P
So many beers, so little time.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 12:43:52 PM »
@realale good job there is someone here that can tell @Bodgeitandscarper that  :hug:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 12:47:49 PM »
Thank for that info, @realale , I had wondered about those, but will now avoid them!

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 13:15:17 PM »
How about silk?
Still learning

Missie

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 13:59:53 PM »
I think I would go for some plush fleece.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 15:02:33 PM »
A natural fibre rather than a synthetic one will be less scratchy. 
Anything fleecy or velvetty will have added thickness.
A fine woven cotton lawn or silk will be the thinnest, but not the hardest wearing. 

Alas you can't have it all ways.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 16:21:42 PM »
Ooh - I just happened to have a glasses cleaning cloth and a pincushion alongside me, so naturally I tried.   :scream:  Well, it's true of whatever brand this is as well (William Morris design on it - very pretty).  Who'd have thought it!?!  Whatever are they made of???
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2021, 16:41:25 PM »
Pins will go through Specsavers' cleaning cloths but you have to press hard.  It's a knitted fabric with stretch in one direction only.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2021, 17:09:29 PM »
I'd use silk too. You could always replace it if necessary?

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2021, 18:53:21 PM »
I may try silk, if I can find a small piece cheaply, but in the meantime I have ordered some "self adhesive velvet flocking liner" - I hope it flocking works  :laughing:

StitchinTime

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2021, 19:23:24 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper I have lots of silk remnants from sale days at Adamley’s. Some are twills for tie making, but some are for pocket squares. I’m more than happy to put some in the post for you if you can let me know what size/colours you need.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2021, 19:30:16 PM »
That's very kind of you, @StitchinTime , I'll see how the stuff I've ordered is, and let you know, thank you  :)