The Sewing Place

Transformational Reconstruction with Shingo Sato

Jo

Transformational Reconstruction with Shingo Sato
« on: June 09, 2017, 08:12:45 AM »
Does anyone know anything about Shingo Sato's transformational reconstruction classes? He does some amazing work and I would like to enroll in his classes at some point. They are quite expensive tho and I don't know anyone who has ever taken them or if they are worth it.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Transformational Reconstruction with Shingo Sato
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 16:15:55 PM »
They look absolutely fascinating Jo. I follow him on Facebook.  Don't know anyone who has taken a class but I know he goes all round the world teaching.  It,s definitely pattern cutting with a difference  :)
Have you seen the Pattern Magic books?   Japanese pattern cutting books which are along similar lines. 

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 16:35:40 PM »
https://youtu.be/Yq9zunlyQ5U

All I can say is this is tres weird!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Jo

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 16:46:49 PM »
Haha, Imi, he does have some...well, weird stuff. But most of them are very wearable and I think they are, at least, quite a challenge (and boy, do I love a challenge).
I'm most interested in the Origami techniques.
Ohsewsimple, I also follow him on facebook :D
I have all three of the pattern magic books but find they lack too many details. After all, this is not your average pattern cutting, sometimes you need to explain with words!

Maximum

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 16:52:12 PM »
Thanks for that link - really interesting ideas and vision and nice to see transformation from what looked like scribbling on calico to the final version. Not sure some of the garments would be easy to wear but that's probably not the point. I would give the puffed up rosetted bosoms a miss though>:)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 16:54:08 PM »
Hahahahaha.  Yes it is a bit weird. But as someone who pattern cuts I find it fascinating.   It,s really pushing the boundaries and I love that.  Much of it I could not possibly wear but it,s like the fashion shows.  You take an element from something and it just adds a little bit of interest and stops it all looking the same.  Look through most pattern catalogues and you could really condense them all down to half the size as designs have got so boring over the years and there is very little difference.
When I see something like this I just have to know how it's been done. 

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 17:01:10 PM »
. I would give the puffed up rosetted bosoms a miss though>:)

Oh come on.....where's your sense of adventure?.....as my hubby would say? :) :P :devil:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 17:14:51 PM »
Someone else you may be interested in is Julian Roberts
You can download a free booklet with over 100 pages about his methods.
http://download2134.mediafire.com/x3n31cgb420g/10d8kgbkp1yxc88/FREE-CUTTING-Julian-Roberts.pdf
He came to do a talk at the uni a friend of mine is at.  I didn't find out till after :'(. She said he was very interesting.
He also has a Facebook page.