The Sewing Place

sewing with fur fabric

annieeg

sewing with fur fabric
« on: December 12, 2021, 17:43:24 PM »
I was making a child's tote bag with some fur fabric but noticed that I was itching after working with it so I've decided to abandon that fabric and use a needlecord or similar.
Has anyone else noticed that fur fabric makes them itch?

Sewbusy

Re: sewing with fur fabric
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 18:44:59 PM »
Not an issue with the uber expensive fur fabric I have but can understand it happening with the very fibrous feel stuff. Remember 'feeling' some in Fabricland years ago and that was awful to touch.

Having said that, I've used fur fabric that was beautiful and soft albeit with knitted backing, still have the bolero I made for my daughter's wedding.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 18:53:27 PM »
I've used it a few times, the expensive stuff was fine, I can't say the cheap stuff made me itch but it really made me sneeze and I mean really sneeze. I steer well clear of the cheap stuff now because it shed so many fibres, I figured out it must have been the flying fibres I was breathing in that was causing the sneezing so sadly put it in the bin.

charlotte

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 09:37:51 AM »
Never had this, but a good tip for minimal shedding is to cut with a razor blade - just press very lightly and you will cut just through the backing fabric. It's still a bit messy, but much better than scissors or a rotary cutter.