The Sewing Place

Poor buttonholes on Janome machines?

Helen M

Poor buttonholes on Janome machines?
« on: December 14, 2021, 11:29:45 AM »
I've only ever done buttonholes (automatic) on Janome machines and not many for a long time until this year and to be honest they were okay on the fabric I was using, but have just read a post on Instagram from @good_fabric_store and wondered if anyone else has done similar things.

They say that the first buttonhole is fine, ie on a scrap of same fabric, then the 2nd one, ie first on garment is a mess. Remedies include switching back to a straight stitch and sewing on a scrap then going back to buttonholes and someone else has said switching off the power and back between each buttonhole has a similar effect.

The opening poster says hers is a basic model but the switching off of the power suggests to me that it's a computerised model as the memory will have been erased by doing that.

One person says they bought a new machine (Pfaff) and they are so much better.

Not saying I'd go to that extreme but thought it interesting.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

b15erk

Re: Poor buttonholes on Janome machines?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 11:37:44 AM »
I seem to remember that we have had previous discussions about buttonholes, and I think the upshot was that you need to replicate the actual garment make up, in order to practise your bh's.  You also need to make sure that the fabric level is flat - using folded fabric to even up the layers. 

My Pfaff buttonholes are very good, but I far prefer the buttonholes I get using a vintage buttonhole attachment.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Helen M

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 12:04:34 PM »
They did that @b15erk but it seemed that the machine(s) would only do 1 'good' one then do rubbish ones after unless they did what I described.

I haven't asked if it was a 4 step b hole which to me would be a much more basic machine or an automatic 1 step one like my non computerised 4618 is. My other machine that I don't get on with is computerised and if you turn off power all changes ie stitch length/width (one of the reasons I don't like it) which makes me think the 2nd person's machine is that way.

It was just something that I had never come across before.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 12:09:14 PM »
How very odd...

Sewing machines are strange things!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 12:21:23 PM »
Something to watch out for….
If you do a sample with same fabric, interfacing etc and then sew on the garment where there may be a seam you won’t get the same results.   :rolleyes:

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 12:22:10 PM »
I must admit my 8900 can be a bit iffy.  It seems to know when I’m in a hurry and does a wonky one then.

Touching wood now as I have some weeny ones to sew later and the fabric will make them a b****r to unpick if I mess up.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 12:27:09 PM »
My Bernina was a challenge to get the buttonhole right in the first place but then would whizz through them all with no problems.  I haven't tried them on the Pfaff yet, watch this space!
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Missie

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 12:35:28 PM »
I have a basic Janome and have a computerised one (and had another one previously that alas, died  :cry:).  I have never had any trouble with buttonholes on any of them.  In fact, I love the buttonholes that they do.

So Chic

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 13:14:09 PM »
I always had problems with buttonholes when I had a Pfaff 1473 but I've never had a problem on my Bernina 630.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 13:34:17 PM »
Hmm interesting. These machines have minds  of their own. I have a Janome Decor Excel 5204(?) - had it for about 12 years and it does really good one step buttonholes. The first time I used it it took me a couple of goes to realise that once I had done a buttonhole I had to click it onto the neighbouring stitch then back on to the buttonhole stitch so the machine would know it was starting a new buttonhole.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Celia

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 13:35:19 PM »
There are some models that you have to sort of reset before you make a second button hole, the Husqvarna Emerald is one of them, these are manual machines though.  I haven’t tried buttonholes on my new Janome 6700 will do so soon.

Helen M

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2021, 14:01:46 PM »
Hmm interesting. These machines have minds  of their own. I have a Janome Decor Excel 5204(?) - had it for about 12 years and it does really good one step buttonholes. The first time I used it it took me a couple of goes to realise that once I had done a buttonhole I had to click it onto the neighbouring stitch then back on to the buttonhole stitch so the machine would know it was starting a new buttonhole.

Mine is the 18 stitch version of yours @Tamnymore and the procedure is the same, there is an arrow on mine just under the buttonhole stitch logo. I much prefer it to the computerised one that I should never have bought....... I've heard ours described as workhorses and I wouldn't argue about it!

Celia

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2021, 14:06:07 PM »
That is similar to what I found on the Emerald

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2021, 14:10:08 PM »
Yes it's a good, solid machine @Helen M and I prefer it to my computerized Singer machine which I only use as a back up.

I think John Lewis still sell this Janome model which is pretty good for a 15 years old  or thereabouts machine.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

annieeg

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2021, 14:15:25 PM »
I've found the buttonholes on Pfaff 1475 and Pfaff QE4.2 are reliable and consistent.