The Sewing Place

another bag from a free YT Tutorial

annieeg

another bag from a free YT Tutorial
« on: December 18, 2021, 15:50:12 PM »
Here's a bag made following the Sailrite YT tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEnaFutDodg
I used oilcloth from Immanuels @ £2 per metre so it wasn't an expensive experiment.
The instructions were easy to follow but the oilcloth was a **** to work with - the roller foot definitely helped but stitching through many layers to create the pleated base was a little difficult and I will have to reinforce the sides. 
Also the top stitching on the handles and bottom panel didn't come out very neatly. 
When you have the shiny side of the oilcloth both on the underneath and top of a piece (e.g., folding and stitching the handles) the underneath does stick, but I don't know if there's a solution to that.
I'd make this bag again in a thicker fabric, but not oilcloth - although its the oilcloth that gives it the body and helps it stand up on its own.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: another bag from a free YT Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 19:11:50 PM »
That's great! 
I always shove a bit of pattern tissue paper underneath if I'm sewing something a bit sticky, it's easy to tear off afterwards.

Ohsewsimple

Re: another bag from a free YT Tutorial
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 22:26:39 PM »
Looks great.  Agree with @Bodgeitandscarper about tissue paper.  Although I have tons of scrap bits of tear away embroidery stabiliser that gets used for this sort of thing.