The Sewing Place

Is this a reasonable price?

Sewingsue

Is this a reasonable price?
« on: June 07, 2017, 22:27:59 PM »
Now I do not need a treadle sewing machine, but

I have just seen a FB post about a Singer treadle (with sphinx decals) refurbished and working - price £120.

Would this be considered a reasonable price?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Maximum

Re: Is this a reasonable price?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 23:04:15 PM »
If it's been refurbished properly and is fully functional with a decent stand (iron work) and cabinet then I think it is a good price. What machine is it? Check it takes standard needles and bobbins are easy to obtain. I would still go and try it out, taking my own material. Check the top when closed as they are often badly stained from endless plant pots or saucers etc. Good luck, happy hunting and lots of pics when you get her home ;)

Sewingsue

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 07:16:48 AM »
Thanks, Maximum.
I gave myself a good talking to and it isn't going to happen.

If I spend any money in the vintage area it would be on getting a motor on my 99K (and then possibly one of those clever buttonhole gadgets).
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 09:45:03 AM »
It does sound a bit much to me SS.  I'm sure you can get something wonderful for a lot less.

The buttonholer sounds like a great plan, I love mine (all 3 of them), and they make the most beautiful buttonholes.  I have to say, although I like them all, the one I use most is the template one.  Just drop the template in and sew beautiful buttonholes!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 11:22:06 AM »
In hindsight I think it was the Sphinx decals that attracted me rather than the treadle and I just posted here on impulse.

Maximum

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 13:36:14 PM »
Glad it's sorted - a bit of thinking out loud often helps. A buttonholer is a good idea and although I'm sure you could handcrank, it must be easier with a motor. I really must get my buttonholer out and fine tune it.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 16:08:39 PM »
I don't think I have ever had to unpick a buttonhole which has been made using one of my buttonholer attachments.  They really are the best quality.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

arrow

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 16:52:00 PM »
In clean, complete and nice conditon it's a reasonable price. Most need a bit of attention to run again, a few spare parts even if they are half the price. That said, prices vary a lot on old machines, and bargains turn up. If you like your 99 and think you would use it, it's worth getting a motor and light for it. Original Singer motor and lamp can be found.