The Sewing Place

I bought her.

Surest1tch

I bought her.
« on: June 04, 2017, 19:49:42 PM »
This is the 201k I went to look at.  She runs so smooth and is so quiet it's quite hard to believe.  I got it for £60 in the end, it needs more spools as it's only go 2 but I found some on ebay from the Singer sewing centre in Barnsley and ordered them.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 19:54:57 PM by Surest1tch »

Acorn

Re: I bought her.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 20:15:58 PM »
Ohhh - she's pretty!   <3
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 20:30:45 PM »
It came with this assortment of feet

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 20:42:09 PM »
Aha! So that's a 201. The same as my mum's when I was wee. The knee thingy fits in a clip in the lid.
It takes two men and a wee lad to lift it.
She's a beauty. Health to enjoy.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 23:29:18 PM »
Snap!   The same as mine, I bought mine a few months ago.  Lover her to bits  :loveit:

PS it also looks like it was made in Kilbowie and the same batch as mine  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Manuela

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 00:27:41 AM »
Beautiful machine, there are a joy to sew on. I just got and LED bulb and a buttonholer for mine.

DalronAU

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 06:01:32 AM »
Beautiful machine, there are a joy to sew on. I just got and LED bulb and a buttonholer for mine.

VSMs are totally different beasties once you replace the globe with LED ones, aren't they?

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 07:16:39 AM »
I must say, She is quite beautiful!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sakar

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 07:48:29 AM »
What a wonderful machine!!!!  0_0 Congratulations!!!

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 09:52:48 AM »
Snap!   The same as mine, I bought mine a few months ago.  Lover her to bits  :loveit:

PS it also looks like it was made in Kilbowie and the same batch as mine  :)

She was born February 1936, the bloke said it's a 201k2.  I really can't tell you how chuffed I am, he wanted to show me a 99k while I was there but I daren't let him because I know I would have bought it if it it had been in the same condition as this one  :P
I didn't have time to have a proper play on her last night and I'm hoping to go for yet more fabric today, I want some stretch denim so I may not have chance today either, depending on traffic it's over an hours drive from here. If I chuck our tea in the slow cooker before we go I'll only have to cook some pasta which will then hopefully give me some time to get upstairs and play!

Surest1tch

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 10:00:41 AM »

Once I've got used to it I suspect a buttonholer will be next on the list although I've just bought one for the Toyota which I haven't had out of the box other than to look at it, plus I'm waiting for one to come for Big Bertha (the industrial).
Oh dear, am I becoming obsessed or developing OCD   :S

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 12:58:28 PM »
Oh dear, am I becoming obsessed or developing OCD   :S

It does take hold very quickly, doesn't it?  :o

She looks lovely and the patterned end plates on the older models are so pretty too. You'll be smiling all the time you use her.  :D

Mine has the striped one but it's fitting for her generation so that's fine. I do look forward to getting a motor for her. If I get a light combination I'll doubtless be on the hunt for an LED bulb, Manuela! If I don't get a light I'll be happy enough with my small swan neck table lamp though as I find I'm using that with everything (including the new machines) just for a bigger pool of light.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Snowgoose

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 14:07:05 PM »
Gorgeous, you will love sewing with her :loveit:  Beware though, these beautiful machines have a habit of breeding!!!  You turn your back for a week or two and next time you look, there's another one  :D. Can't think how that possibly happens...   ;)

Roger

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 01:16:30 AM »
Hi,
thats a lovely machine: as you have a 201-2 theyre a little different to other 201s, the bit below the the balance wheel, has 2 bakerlite screws (careful with these they're best opened with a coin I think I used a 2p ) behind them are the grease wells and wicks that keep the worm gear lubricated these are often pretty stuffed, or solidified, and need a good clean and new wicks. I might have some spare wicking around, if you need some?

http://vssmb.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/complete-how-to-re-wire-potted-motor.html I found sections 8 forwards handy for it and check the wiring carefully, these machines are older for electrical models and the insulation can be iffy, and the shell of them is all metal.

But they are lovely for being direct driven!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132