The Sewing Place

So can I ------?

maliw

So can I ------?
« on: December 19, 2021, 16:15:42 PM »
I decided to make a top with some 4 way stretch jersey, a piece that I bought to make a t-shirt months ago. The top has long sleeves unlike a t-shirt.
Here's my question - I can get the whole thing out of the fabric IF I cut the sleeves across rather than down the length, will this work and be ok?
The top is to wear under another one so won't all be seen.
TIA
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Celia

Re: So can I ------?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 16:29:02 PM »
I have done this before but it really does depend on the fabric and the amount and direction  of stretch, sometimes that sort of thing can feel uncomfortable.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 17:07:32 PM »
I agree with @Celia   If teh fabric is stretchy in both directions it will probably be OK, but if the stretch is all across the width then no it won't work - unless you add maybe 10% to the width of the sleeves.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 18:15:15 PM »
I’ve done it recently on a couple of tops.  You do need to make sure there’s enough stretch as has been said.  Another thing to think about is the pattern of the fabric unless it’s plain of course.  I was lucky as I had small circles that were going all ways  and it looked identical.  The other I think was just a splodgy print.  Technical term.  :)