The Sewing Place

Frankenbra

Sara-S

Frankenbra
« on: December 20, 2021, 15:21:05 PM »
I needed some bras with pockets for a lumpectomy pad.  But the only comfortable one I found has very short, non-adjustable straps.  So I sewed in an extra 6” of elastic on each strap.  Not the prettiest sewing I have ever done, but I was more concerned with sturdiness.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

BTW, the straps are even. I just didn’t hang it straight on the hanger.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Bumblebuncher

Re: Frankenbra
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 15:36:49 PM »
Sometimes function is more important than prettiness  :hug:
Looking like a good fix to me though
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Sara-S

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 16:03:02 PM »
Thanks @Bumblebuncher    I was able to find good quality elastic from a site that sells bra components. (I am a “plus size” woman with large breasts-OK one is now a bit smaller- so I need the sturdiness.)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 16:56:08 PM »
Well done @Sara-S.  whatever works for you. 

realale

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 12:54:07 PM »
Looks perfectly functional to me  :D Besides, who is going to see it?!!!  :embarrassed:
So many beers, so little time.

Sara-S

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 21:16:11 PM »
Good point @realale   I finally got my prosthesis today so as soon as it warms up(from being outside until I got home) I can try it on.

Sara-S

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 22:37:49 PM »
At last, all 3 Frankenbras are done! They needed a few finishing touches, such as some seam tape.  I did 2 in beige and 1 in black.  I was able to wear the black one with the prosthesis in it today. 

It’s surprisingly comfortable (it looks sort of like a big gelatinous yarmulke) and, with a shirt on, looks very natural and I look symmetrical.  That makes me feel much less self-conscious.