The Sewing Place

Knitting Mitts

Ann

Knitting Mitts
« on: December 21, 2021, 13:00:27 PM »
I decided it was time to knit a pair of mitts for myself. I love to wear them over thin gloves to keep my hand super warm when out and about.

The yarn is Sugar Bush Bliss. They say it is a #2 weight but knits more like a #3 (DK) weight when you look at needle size and stitch/inch. The yarn is lovely and soft which is making for a nice knit.

The pattern I am using is a free pattern from Tin Can Knits of which I have knit a pair of mittens for DGS years ago. I am following along with Purl Together's Sloth Series to learn any new tricks when knitting these mittens.

I have the cuff of the first mitten knit and it fits me beautifully. I am making the largest size in DK yarn.

I am now ready to switch to the larger needles and knit 4 rounds before I start the thumb gusset. I am thinking about starting the 2nd cuff but may wait. I'm keeping track of the rows so both mitts have the same number of rows for each part.

Are you thinking of knitting mitts this winter. If so please feel free to join in.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 13:02:06 PM by Ann »
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Deafoldbat

Re: Knitting Mitts
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 18:23:47 PM »
Excellent for using up left over sock yarn.

Ann

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 20:01:25 PM »
@Deafoldbat, it is great for left over sock yarn as the pattern allows you to use fingering, do, worsted weight and chunky yarn.

I’m doing the gusset on mitt #1 now. Had to go back and watch the video again to do her M1 again. I’m learning all the time b
Stash Busting 2023

Celia

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 16:37:24 PM »
Well done @Ann   I have just finished my fingerless mittens but they are wet so will post photo tomorrow

Ann

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 20:12:56 PM »
I frogged mine as the gusset increase had holes on one side. Doing them on a size larger needles too. I’ll post as soon as I get the gusset done. I’m not rushing as I want nice mittens to wear.

@Celia, can’t wait to see your fingerless mittens.
Stash Busting 2023

Celia

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 13:44:41 PM »
@anne
Here are the finished mitts, they are made in Jamiesons Shetland wool. Not too sure wether to keep for me or give to my Son.

Diane

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 15:14:19 PM »
@Celia  I’m loving those mitts
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Celia

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 17:40:55 PM »
 @Diane They are easy to knit, the pattern is in this book https://shop.actechniques.co.uk/products/confident-knitting-print-and-ebook
My son bought it for me for Mother’s Day and I must say I have knitted quite a few things from it

Diane

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 18:00:01 PM »
Thanks for the book link @Celia
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ann

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2021, 21:18:37 PM »
@Celia, those are fabulous mitts.

I got the cuff done (again) but panned out today after making buns and wrapping most of the presents. I had an IBS attack and had to rest for the afternoon. Will work on them tonight if I'm not too tired. 
Stash Busting 2023

Flobear

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 11:47:29 AM »
Have just delivered a pair of mitts to the lady in the newsagents. She was thrilled. She saw mine last week and asked where I got them. I said I'd knitted them and would be happy to knit her a pair. They're so quick, just a more or less straight line with thumb shaping. It was good to have a reason to knit another pair because I have so many, I really don't need any more! And I used up some yarn ending up with about half a metre to spare <phew>
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ann

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2022, 16:58:05 PM »
I hate to admit that I frogged the mitts as I couldn't get the thumb to work for me. I will try again later as I ended up really frustrated with them. I know the pattern works as I used this pattern for the mitts I made DGS 7 years ago. I'm not sure what went wrong, I just need to clear my mind and try again.
Stash Busting 2023

Celia

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2022, 21:58:42 PM »
@Ann ivam sure if you have done it before you will be fine, sometimes our brains just seem to go for a break, well at least mine does.