The Sewing Place

Knitpro needles - disappointed.

Ouryve

Knitpro needles - disappointed.
« on: December 21, 2021, 21:02:17 PM »
I have a fair few of these, that are about 10 years old or more   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  mostly the symphonie and a lot of the interchangeable tips. I always liked that they're not too slippery but nice and pointy and they're very light.

I selected one for my current socks. I realised the cable wasn't quite long enough for when I reached the ankle and also felt that one of the joins was feeling worn so ordered a replacement.

It's horrible. It's not sharp at all to the point (or not) that I'm struggling with k2tog - see on the left compared to the old one, on the right. The cable is also annoyingly stiff and twisty.

This is not long after I bought a nova circular (because the addi I wanted was out of stock, everywhere) with a really scratchy tip. Nasty quality, for the price.

And thinking on, I bought a new cable, a couple of years ago, that promptly fell apart with a 90% complete shawl on it.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Acorn

Re: Knitpro needles - disappointed.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 21:03:06 PM »
That is very disappointing - and quite strange.  I recently bought a pair of 4.5mm Knitpro Symfonie needles, and they have lovely points.  I also bought a set of interchangeable circular needles last month - I think the range is called 'Ginger' - they're a lovely mid brown wood - and they also have good points as you would expect from Knitpro.

I have noticed that their non-wooden needles now seem to have coloured bodies and silver tips, which seems odd to me - but the pictures seem to show them having good points even for the really big sizes.

I wonder whether yours are faulty?  I hope it isn't the case that mine were old stock and yours newer stock.   -<
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 21:16:42 PM »
I'm perplexed that I seem to have bought 2 duff ones in a row, from different ranges. It's as if the quality control isn't what it should be.

And the number of different ranges they have now is immense. The metal ones you got sound like the zing. There's also the smart stix that I bought a pair of to try, at some point. The gingers do look nice and probably work better with dark wool than the symphonie.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 08:41:12 AM »
I have a couple of pairs of Knitpro Karbonz needles that I got for some lace knitting.  They are black with metal tips. I found the metal tips very hard on the fingers as they had such a good point but they were just the job for lace.  The tips were probably sharper because they were small sized needles, 2mm I think.
Life's too short for ironing.

realale

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 14:51:12 PM »
I've just bought some knitpro zing dpns. They're red, which I love. So far I am enjoying knitting with them. I changed from bamboo as my bamboo ones were becoming a bit bendy and banana shaped - think they were probably cheap ones that have become distorted.
So many beers, so little time.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 09:28:22 AM »
I recently dug out some UFO knitted hats, and in order to finish them off I had to delve into the Knitpro needles - they are the only circulars I have which are chunky sizes.  The first pair I tried were some fixed circulars - and one of the needles fell off the end... :rolleyes: not a good start.  These were new needles although I've had the for a while, so no chance of returning them.

The second lot I tried were from a seet of interchangeable needles I bought some time ago when my knitting mojo was quite strong.  They hadn't been used before, so I found a suitable cable, and screwed them on.  The first one went on fine, the second, well, it just wouldn't tighten up.  So, I changed the cable as I've had cable problems before.  Nothing doing, the needle just turns round and round.

I've had trouble in the past with the bit where the needles join, and this decided me to change my brand.  Unfortunately, I haven't got the same range of sizes with Chiaogoo needles yet - they are V expensive!

So, I am atm using a very cheapcheap set of dpns, and while not as easy for knitting a hat (the needles are quite long), at least they don't give me the same level of aggravation.

I have a birthday coming up soon - I won't be asking for knitPro needles! :rant:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Celia

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 10:07:10 AM »
@b15erk i feel your pain, I now have a very extensive set of Chiaogoo needles but it has taken lots of years of birthday, Christmas presents to achieve this and lots of expensive mistakes along the way. 

I really must sort out some of the other make surplus ones I have and get rid of them, some are good but I have decided that on the whole I prefer to stick to the Chiaogoo