The Sewing Place

Crewel Work kits

Iminei

Crewel Work kits
« on: December 23, 2021, 07:24:25 AM »
I saw this on faceache and thought some of you clever people might be interested

Beautiful Crewel work kits

Not Cheap but I bet they are Quality .... Very jealous of anybody who can make things like this.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 07:28:06 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Cazlyn

Re: Crewel Work kits
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 07:35:00 AM »
Wow they are beautiful but oh my goodness, the price!!  :faints:
Crafting is my happy place

Esme866

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 08:20:14 AM »
These are really nice!

It seems that all of the materials are of top quality. Linen, wool and silk. If someone wanted this look, it would probably be difficult to source everything, and by the time all of the neccessary colors were purchased you'd have considerable money involved.

This idea in a Christmas stocking really appeals to me, but I found them kind of weird. Crewel work is so traditional and a "rabbit" Christmas stocking seems a bit odd. And then there's the Unicorn......perhaps Santa and Rudolph have had a falling out? :laughing:

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 08:35:37 AM »
They're beautiful.  :loveit:

I'd love to think I'd got the patience and skills to complete one of those. Alas, I have neither. It'd just be another kit stashed away with all my other kits, bought and not started.

Sandra.
xxx

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 11:10:26 AM »
Oh my, a unicorn!
Must... not.... buy
 :o
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 11:12:48 AM »
The unicorn is a free download  :dance:
 :xdance:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Celia

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 12:31:56 PM »
These are beautiful, I have done a little in the past and if anyone is interested there are some excellent books and patterns  if you don’t want to pay out for a kit.  The raw materials are not so expensive especially if you have the hoops etc. already.

This book has some nice designs https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Beginners-Guide-Crewel-Embroidery-Needlecrafts/dp/085532869X/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2679JQSD10U9J&keywords=crewel+embroidery+books&qid=1640262597&sprefix=Crewel+embroidery+%2Caps%2C80&sr=8-2

realale

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 15:04:29 PM »
They're beautiful.  :loveit:

I'd love to think I'd got the patience and skills to complete one of those. Alas, I have neither. It'd just be another kit stashed away with all my other kits, bought and not started.

Sandra.
xxx

Oh, @Sandra I could have written that!!
What is the sewing equivalent of eyes being bigger than my tummy? - Ambition being greater than skill set? Ideas more prolific than time?  :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

Starryfish

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 19:38:24 PM »
Ooh, I'm tempted to give this a try. I've admired crewel work hangings in stately homes. Maybe I'll try a small kit. There are enough cushions in our house at the moment. I'll book mark the site for now.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2021, 21:52:27 PM »
I love crewel work - and it's actually a lot easier than it looks.  When I injured my back 21 years ago I bought myself the Jane Rainbow kit below, and I must have done - ooooh - about half if it now...  :embarrassed:

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Esme866

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2021, 03:29:33 AM »
@Sandra Just as @Acorn brought up, crewel work isn't that hard and it's also much quicker than cross-stitch, for instance. Of all embroidery work, crewel has what I like to call the most bang for the buck. The threads are thicker and the stitches themselves are larger than other embroidery type projects, plus the background is typically not completely filled-in like some needlework.

Sandra

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2021, 08:08:13 AM »
@Esme866  I've done cross stitch, but I'm probably still missing enough patience.  -< I'm sure I have less now than I used to.

These are lovely designs.  :loveit:

Sandra.
xxx