The Sewing Place

Casting off the mortal coil

Catllar

Casting off the mortal coil
« on: December 26, 2021, 15:25:37 PM »
Yes, I think it's deceased - has been complaining noisily for a while but a couple of days ago it went totally haywire - wouldn't stop stitching,  albeit slowly and then it gradually pulled the fabric down through the dogs and wrapped it round the bobbin case all the while accompanying this with non-stop needle jerk. So I fiddled the fabric out, changed needle, rethreaded and then the dashboard lights went all Christmassy, accompanied by graunching and refusal to do anything apart from hum. I wonder if the motherboard is shot. Doesn't owe me anything though and I have a couple of spares( as you do)  RIP  Silver.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ohsewsimple

Re: Casting off the mortal coil
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 16:08:30 PM »
Doesn’t sound good @Catllar  :(

Esme866

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 19:01:15 PM »
@Catllar I'm having a hard time coming up with anything other than a fried motherboard myself. Sounds like it was a rather spectacular departure, perhaps even an attempt to save you the cost of an attempted resurrection? :[

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 21:03:23 PM »
Blimey !!!!!  :faints:    :faints:     :faints:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 13:08:14 PM »
Might have to research a new machine then - bummer - this is not easy here. Oh well.

Bill

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 13:37:21 PM »
accompanied by graunching and refusal to do anything apart from hum.

I feel like that most days  :laughing:
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Diane

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 13:40:20 PM »
graunching and refusal to do anything apart from hum.

Sounds like DH  :laughing:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 15:11:10 PM »
So I have been quickly looking at machines and so far I'm considering Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 versus Juki HZL-G220.

Impossible to see/try them in this part of the world where most sewing is still done using bone needles and cat gut, so any of you have either of these?

realale

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 15:46:30 PM »
I have the Pfaff Quilt Ambition 2 as my back up machine and it's easy to use with lots of good features.
Don't know anything about the Juki apart from hearing good things about them.
Have fun choosing!!
So many beers, so little time.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 18:01:50 PM »
@Catllar I have the Pfaff 620, and love it.  I believe the only difference is number of stitches on the 630 which is also a dowdy grey as opposed to the really pretty blue that sold the cheaper version to me  :laughing:
Loads of harp space and the extension table makes loads of sewing room too.
Can you tell no problems at all?
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 10:47:13 AM »
Thanks for the info. Lots to think about. I've decided that I would really benefit from an upper and lower thread snipper function, when I'm sewing all my frills and flounces it can be a bit awkward getting underneath to cut the bobbin thread when I've got 20 metres of wired frills on my lap!

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2021, 11:37:41 AM »
@Catllar I have been converted to the thread snipper, something I thought I would never use.  The only time it has not worked perfectly was doing the fleece hoodie and it was four layers of thick fleece.  For some reason it threw it out with the bottom thread.  As soon as I went back to normal thickness it worked again.
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2021, 12:43:35 PM »
So the 620 has a thread snipper? @Bumblebuncher

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2021, 13:14:32 PM »
Yes it does, when I looked into it, the 630 only seemed to have more stitches than the 620 and little else difference, so I went for the pretty blue  :laughing:
There may be other differences I didn't notice because I only use it for dressmaking
BB

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2021, 13:51:41 PM »
OK thanks. Looks like a go-er then. Now to find the best price......