The Sewing Place

Casting off the mortal coil

SingingSinger

Re: Casting off the mortal coil
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2021, 14:35:00 PM »
I've got the Pfaff Ambition 620. It's a good machine and a lovely colour.  :D
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2021, 16:09:01 PM »
@SingingSinger A very,very lovely colour  :laughing:
I wonder if Pfaff are aware how many sales of the 630 they lost because of the colour? :thinking:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Catllar

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2021, 17:51:47 PM »
Just another question re this Ambition - how heavy is it? does it dance about at full speed or is it stable enough? I can't find the weight anywhere - one site led me to  question: How much does the Pfaff Ambition weigh at birth :laughing: :laughing:
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

SingingSinger

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2021, 21:16:54 PM »
It's very stable. A google search suggests 9kg which sounds about right.
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2021, 23:18:47 PM »
Well it doesn't bounce about as much as my Bernina did, in fact it firmly sits there and refuses to move in most circumstances :laughing:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Catllar

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2021, 16:31:05 PM »
Thank you folks.

Andymat

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2022, 17:12:14 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The Pfaff 630 has fewer buttons too (than the 620) because it has a touch sensitive screen. And I think a few stitches extra, as has been said, but I think they are specifically aimed at quilters, hence the name.

See attachment that lists the differences.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 17:41:15 PM by Andymat »

Andymat

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2022, 17:18:48 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I also have a comparison of the stiches you get with the 620 vs the 630 if it is of any interest.

Catllar

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2022, 13:20:51 PM »
Thanks for all the info - I've put it all together and have decided to proceed but would like to try the machine before I buy - not unreasonable given its price I reckon?  So, sit down have a cup of tea and here is the next chapter.

I saw that Mondial Tissus in Perpignan has the machine in the 610 and 620 versions ( price was wrong as they had got the wrong labels on the sehlf - is this an indication of anything?)  Yesterday we popped in to Perpignan for something  so I went in and asked if I could try the two machines to compare. Here is the conversation:

Me: I'm considering buying one of these machines but I'd like to see how fast they go and how stable they are before I decide, so can I make a trial appointment?

Them: You can do a sewing course.

Me: I can manage the sewing, thank you, but I need to try the machine  first before I buy.

Them: Yes, do a course and you can use the machines we provide.

Me: Do you refund the course price against a purchase then?

Them: No.

Me: So you are asking me to spend money  that is not deductable to try a 610 or a 620?

Them: We don't use those in the courses, they are too expensive for beginners.

Me: I'm not a beginner but I'm not prepared to spend over 1000 euros on something I've not trialled.

Them: We don't know you're not a beginner.

Me: I'm telling you I'm not. So can I try the machine I want before I buy?

Them: No, if we did it for one customer they'd all want to do it.

Me: Strange, I thought that was what sewing machine shops did?? Tell you what, you keep your machines safe and sound, I'll go somewhere else.

Flounces off.......

Some time later thanks to Mr Google I found a sewing machine sweetie shop  ( a whole wall of different makes and models - overlockers, coverstitchers, embroidery machines, Cricuts) a few tram stops away from where we will be  staying in Montpellier over the weekend.  Contacted them and guess what? I can try whatever I like and they have all the major brands, including industrials and all the pretty shiny things, and they do servicing on the spot as well. Watch this space.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2022, 13:43:22 PM »
@Catllar I had to read this out to OH and even he said he would have flounced out too  :laughing:
I chose the 620 because it was a prettier colour by the way!
It does have a speed control button that is completely adjustable and I have always had it in the middle which is the same speed as my Bernina was, I will admit to being wary of putting it on full speed but will have a go one day!
 :thumb:

Acorn

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2022, 14:03:19 PM »
@Catllar  :headbang:  You have to wonder how some shops stay in business.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2022, 14:34:06 PM »
Wow @Catllar what a strange attitude.  It’s getting very difficult to find a place here to try a machine nowadays.  But thinking about it, what other piece of equipment do we get to try?   Never been able to try an iron, washing machine, cooker, vacuum cleaner.   :thinking:

Catllar

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2022, 16:43:45 PM »
@Ohsewsimple  that's true but I've always tried a sewing machine before buying - oh and vacuum cleaners too - shops have had demo models but admittedly getting harder to find.  Anyhow they can keep their machines - I've never liked that shop - they have a special attitude towards customers!

Edited to add: Update. Yesterday I sent a message via FB to the head office of MT and today lo and behold I receive an answer saying they had contacted the store and I CAN try the machine that is on display on the shelf.  I replied that they were too late, they had lost a customer due to their shortsighted attitude in the store. Felt soooooo good!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 17:47:56 PM by Catllar »

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2022, 06:56:21 AM »
Dont I recall you having trouble with the staff in that particular shop before now? Im sure I remember the name.

It does seem to me that French shop staff seem to be particularly snotty and stuck up sticky beaks ...

Please dont all hit me at once ... (ducks behind the sofa!)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Catllar

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2022, 19:42:57 PM »
@Iminei  great recall about that ghastly shop - yes I have had more than one issue with their delightful staff. French customer service is  a contradiction in terms ! I used to work in CS for a large international company and was often reprimanded for being too obliging and willing to help sort out problems. Personally it's all in the job description but, hey, you get used to it.

Anyhow, today I went to sewing maching sweet shop and didn't come out with the Pfaff after all that but I have become the pround owner of a Brother Innovis 1300. I had a play with several machines and the vendeuse pointed me in the direction of machines she thought would meet my brief  and let me play. She explained the pros and cons and whilst the Pfaff fitted mlost of them when I told her how much I sew she said I'd be better with the Brother as the motor is sturdier.

The speed is a lot faster too, it has a knee lift and felt more solid and stable on the table. I got a discount along with an hour's technical help  and AND it sews sideways ( think trying to patch jean legs  - no manipulating the  trouser leg round the free arm to attach the patch! Excellent! I'll pick it up on Tuesday when we go home as I'll have the car then.  I can have the hour tuition whenever I want and she suggested I get to know the machine by myself first and then come and see them and will have the class on one of the display models or can do it via WhatsApp at any time.