The Sewing Place

Dress V8787

dolcevita

Dress V8787
« on: June 09, 2017, 19:31:55 PM »
Being laid up with a bad knee this week has given me some unexpected sewing time, so I've made myself a nice new frock.  This is Vogue 8787 and I've made view D.  I've had the pattern some time and made a different view so there wasn't too much work in fitting it.

The fabric is a printed cotton lawn that I bought a couple of summers ago at Joanne's in Bournemouth.  I can't recall the price but it can't have been too expensive if I bought it!  I bought 2 metres and only used 1.6 for this dress, so I have enough left over to trim a Stylearc top that I want to make next.

I had a mishap with the lining earlier today and burned a hole in it - curses!  I made a repair on it rather than cut out and replace a whole new piece, and I've put a thread on this in the tutorials section, along with a handy hint for invisible zips in dresses with a waist seam.

Without further ado, here's the finished frock.

Acorn

Re: Dress V8787
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 20:02:32 PM »
Lovely - and the material is very nice too.  I really like the way you've placed the pattern - I probably would have missed the fact that it needed thought!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 20:44:55 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 20:37:59 PM »
Very bold fabric.  Glad you've got some sewing time.  Wondered if you'd managed to ease up but bad knee explains it.  Hope you feel better soon.

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 21:11:17 PM »
Lovely! I have it in my stash. I really want to make the one with the gathered neck but I can't work out how to do an FBA on that.

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 22:04:12 PM »
Lovely dress, you've placed the pattern so well it really shapes the back view.  Well done!  Hope your knee gets better soon  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Manuela

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 00:30:22 AM »
Beautiful dress, love the collar and the print  :loveit:

maliw

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 15:34:59 PM »
Sorry to hear about your knee, you have used your time very well, lovely pattern, lovely fabric and lovely frock. Well done pat yourself on the back.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula