The Sewing Place

Batting/wadding

Bill

Batting/wadding
« on: December 27, 2021, 13:40:14 PM »
Is it the same as insulated batting/wadding?
I'm aiming to make some matching oven gloves to go with mum's apron so she doesn't burn her pinkies off.
Fankoo.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Ploshkin

Re: Batting/wadding
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 13:52:30 PM »
I believe the one that is commonly used is called Insul bright
Life's too short for ironing.

Bill

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 14:04:39 PM »
Just wondering if I can use ordinary batting/wadding.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 14:18:49 PM »
No.  Absolutely, definitely not.  About 25 years ago I made an oven glove with ordinary wadding - no use at all, the heat went straight through.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bill

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 14:30:03 PM »
Thanks @Acorn   :)

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 14:34:01 PM »
No @Bill Insulbrite is the wadding you need.
I use it for oven gloves, placemats, runners and mug rugs.
You can't use it for bowl cosies as it has metallic threads and so can't go in a microwave
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 14:44:57 PM »
Just wondering if I can use ordinary batting/wadding.

Yes, absolutely, so long as it is 100% cotton and you use 2 or 3 layers of the stuff. NOT OK if it is polyester. Insul Brite is reflective but it's polyester and mylar so you still need cotton batting on both sides of it. It's great for other things though. The best fill I've ever found is cotton terrycloth. Have a stained towel or one with a hole in it? Great for pot holders. My absolute favorite purchased pot holders are 2 layers of towel with a thin batting between them with a pocket for your hand of yet another layer of terrycloth. You could practically use these puppies in a foundry to lift crucibles of molten metal.*

*OK.  I'm exaggerating slightly. They would ignite from the heat. But a roasting pan or pizza from a 450F oven is no problem.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 14:46:57 PM »
No @Bill Insulbrite is the wadding you need.
I use it for oven gloves, placemats, runners and mug rugs.
You can't use it for bowl cosies as it has metallic threads and so can't go in a microwave

? I've never put a bowl cozy in the microwave. Is that a common usage? I've not heard of that before.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 16:39:05 PM »
If you are buying wadding for the oven gloves go for Insulbrite as the bits of reflective mylar in it will help deflect the heat, but if you want to use what you already have 100% cotton wadding will be fine - lots of people just use several thicknesses of folded tea towel (UK tea towels) for holding hot pans. 

Just don't use the cheap polyester stuff as the heat will go straight through.  80/20 is probably OK.  If you happen to have any (expensive) wool wadding that would be fine too.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bill

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 21:32:29 PM »
Thank you for all your help. Insulbright ordered. Can't have mum's pinkies roasted with the lamb.

Esme866

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 10:47:16 AM »
@Bill I like the suggestion of 100% cotton on both sides of insulbright.

I recently had an iron skillet warming on an electric eye. It had nothing in it, but I felt it was getting too warm and I sat it directly onto a store purchased oversized pot holder that seemed to have insulbright on one side, fabric on the other.. I sat the skillet directly onto the insulbright side.

Two minutes later, I was ready to use the skillet and so I grabbed it to set back onto the eye, not realizing the insulbright had melted onto the skillet. Which meant the potholder was melted onto the bottom of the skillet and I quickly  lightly tapped the potholder onto the eye.

Had there been no insulbright, I would have just suffered the loss of one potholder and the cotton would have left a bit of soot.

Took me 3 hours to remove the melted polyester filling, polyester insulbrite and polyester fabric from the skillet bottom and the stove eye.

I would much prefer 100% cotton. But lining both sides of the insulbright sounds like a good idea too.

Bill

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2021, 12:16:06 PM »
I'll be stuffing some cotton fabric in the sammich as well as the actual fabric for the glove being cotton itself. No worries with it sticking to hot things  :)