The Sewing Place

Knitting for baby

SingingSinger

Knitting for baby
« on: December 28, 2021, 22:42:06 PM »
I have put the winter hat knitting to one side and have dug out my Mum's baby patterns to start knitting for my first grandchild, due in June!

My Mum loved to knit for new arrivals in the family and her "Patons Baby Scene" (circa 1973) book is well used but just about holding together. So I thought I'd start with one of Mum's go-to patterns for a baby jacket. Maybe a little old fashioned but it will be cosy for the little one and a link to their late great Grandma.  <3

Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Acorn

Re: Knitting for baby
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 22:49:57 PM »
Congratulations!  It is lovely knitting for babies, and I think a lot of the older patterns are much nicer than the newer ones when they're tiny.

I'm intending to knit for the goddaughters this year - I don't often, because if I knit for one, I have to knit for both, and my knitting tends to come in spurts!  I figure I'll knit a size above where they are now, and then even if I take a while they should be OK.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

maliw

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 13:37:21 PM »
Congratulations - enjoy yourself.
I knitted for both my children and then used the same patterns for my grandchildren, one in particular for a plain cardigan was very useful. Some lovely yarns around now that weren't 40 years ago.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 15:46:35 PM »
Many congratulations @SingingSinger , the grandma club is a lovely one to be in.

Lots and lots of lovely things to knit and in small sizes they can be finished so quickly.

I love to see babies in traditional things, your mums book will be well used I’m sure.

SingingSinger

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 18:06:39 PM »
Thank you! I am excited by the news though I'm not sure it's quite sunk in!  :)

I'm getting on well with the traditional cardi which I should finish this week. I've also been browsing on Ravelry for more modern designs. Some are very cute!
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Sheilago

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 20:34:38 PM »
How lovely @SingingSinger . You will love being a Gran.

I love knitting for my grandchildren, but I do like knitting small things so it will probably tail off as they get older. I recently knitted a cardigan for my newest granddaughter, due any day now and I used a pattern my mother knitted for me 60+ years ago! I inherited all her old patterns when I cleared out her house. Lots of them are still lovely for modern babies.

SingingSinger

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 20:57:53 PM »
That's lovely @Sheilago. How exciting to meet your newest grandaughter any day!

I love using my Mum's patterns, thinking of her and remembering as I knit.  :)

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 22:13:53 PM »
My young GD uses a blanket for her dolly that my mum made as a pram blanket for my eldest.  It’s striped with a very fancy knitted pleated frill!

My mum wasn’t a natural knitter and I know how much effort she put into that blanket. To see the GGD she never met wrapping her beloved baby in the blanket would give her so much joy.